Home Run Hustle (Saint John's - 2022 - 5K)


  Home Run Hustle Photos


65.3 Mile Drive




Registration:

 

The Home Run Hustle in Saint John’s was a great new city close to home after a long trip the weekend before.  The event offered a free kids run for kids under 12 that I registered all three kids for.  The only downside was the start of the kids run at 8:30am.  It was an early start.  






RunSignUp mentioned a raffle that participants did not need to be present to win, a start and finish at the Feldpausch Baseball Fields and an out and back pavement course.  I really liked the race logo design.  The “R” in “Run” as the bottom of a shoe in motion was awesome. 

 



Course:



The morning of Home Run Hustle was perfect weather with photography worthy skies.  One cloud in particular was long and thin like a train going across an otherwise cloudless sky. 

 


The kids fun run course was half a mile down Townshed Road and back. I could almost see the kids the entire way down before they turned around.  




Luke finished second overall behind a young boy that was flying.  He hit the grass hard after finishing.  




Ryan amazed us too.  




Will chose not to run in Saint John’s.  I was really touched by the young girl in a wheelchair as she was handed her finisher medal.  That moment showcased why I believe in finisher medals. 

 


The 5K course was west down Townshed Road to Saint John’s High School, looping around the main parking lot in the back of the school and following the same path back to the finish.  The high school entrance was 1.18 miles down Townshed Road.  It was 1.18 miles of straight pavement with no sun and no turns. 

 


I found the 5K to be very difficult.  I was hot even though it was only 70 degrees out.  Temperatures in lower Michigan would end up climbing to a high of 82 degrees by 2:00pm, which is a two and a half degree increase per hour.  



Courses down main roads without turns are the toughest courses for me.  I didn’t bring music to listen and that made it worse.  Miles felt like they were passing so slowly.  It was mentally and physically draining. 

 


I passed a couple sitting in their lawn across the street from the high school entrance.  They were a nice change of scenery.  A course volunteer joked, “I like your shirt!” to a man in front of me.  They were both wearing the race t-shirt.    

 



The best part of the course was the grounds of Saint John’s High School.  We curved a lot as we went past the neighboring Saint John’s Middle School and the high school’s baseball diamonds, track field and tennis courts.  



There was a lot to look at and see in the three quarters of a mile that I ran next to the high school.

   


 

Swag:



I got a black tech t-shirt with the amazing run logo I loved from registration.  The logo was large on the shirt.  I love black running shirts because things I get on them can’t be seen.  The shirt fit well.  I usually order unisex medium size shirts but they don’t always fit.  Sometimes I order a large if I think the shirts may run small.  I don’t order women sizes in running shirts anymore.  They have repeatedly fit too tight. 

 


All 5K participants received finisher medals.  The medals had the run logo in a thin gold circular base with a red and black striped lanyard.  The lanyard did not have any words.  The two-tone black and red colors were awesome. 

 


Kids fun run participants got the same 5K finisher medals.

 


 

Restrooms:




Restrooms for the Home Run Hustle were in the baseball field athletic building.  It looked like a huge metal shed.  It was across the parking lot from packet pick-it.  It was not as long of a walk as Bronson, but still a decent walk.  I didn’t feel panicked to make it back to the start of the race.  






It was so nice to have an indoor bathroom.  Walking through the shed felt like going behind the scenes at Saint John’s Park and Rec.  I saw a tower of mulch and a lot of landscaping tools. 


 



Food:



Home Run Hustle volunteers made the most organized post-race food table I’ve seen at a run.  The girls in charge laid all the Nature Valley granola bars out individually in rows and placed the Ice Mountain water bottles in a tight square formation.  They took pride in their work.  The water bottles they had were huge!  They were not the twist lids I’m used to.  They had fancy sport-top lids that flip open. 


 



Post-race food also included bananas.  Post-run granola bars came in Crunchy and Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate varieties. 

 


 

Awards:

 

To my surprise there was not an awards ceremony or age group awards given out.  The run didn’t advertise as being just a fun run or a run focused on community and exercise.  There was a well-known timing company posting live results.  In my experience, runs that pay for timing companies typically have awards.  That was why it was surprising.  We waited around wondering if there were awards and when nothing happened, we left.  I hope we didn’t miss an awards ceremony.  



We stayed a pretty long time after the run.  Since there were no awards I was very grateful to receive a finisher medal.  Results were done in overall standings.  There were only 36 total participants in the 5K.  The event seemed a lot larger with the crowd of people gathered.  




There must have been a lot of parents with their kids filling in the field and making the illusion of a larger run.  I was the fourth female to cross the finish line coming in just seconds under my personal goal of 30 minutes.  Out of 36 5K participants, 24 were female.

 


Aide Stations:

 

Home Run Hustle had a great aide station positioned at the turn around point at Saint John’s High School.  It was manned by four volunteers that smiled for a picture as I ran by.  They all had foldable seats.  I took a glass of water and asked if I could pour it on my head.  I don’t know why I asked.  




They laughed and told me to go for it.  It was the first time I have taken an aide station water cup and poured it on my head.  It was so hot I needed the water on me more than I needed to drink it.  You could see under the aide station table they were using the same sport’s-top Ice Mountain bottles to pour into cups for participants.  With 36 runners and walkers, they didn’t need to open many. 

 



Timing:


Aldrich Timing was the timing company at Home Run Hustle.  I’ve ran with Aldrich a few times and it seems like they go all over the lower part of the state.  The last time I ran with Aldrich was in Reese.  They do the BARC races series in the thumb.  Aldrich Timing is an older husband and wife team that always show up in their truck with a trailer attached to it.  The trailer is where all the timing magic takes place.  They wear maroon shirts and the husband (everytime I’ve seen him) always wears a matching hat. 



 

Something I love about Aldrich Timing is their live results TV screen that constantly revolves through finishing times for participants to see.  I tried to get pictures of it, but the bright sun made it difficult to see.  Another unique thing about Aldrich Timing results is their details.  I know my speed in miles per hour in addition to my pace and….

 

“Time Behind Leader.”

 

How cool of a race stat is that?  I think it’s awesome.  I’ve never seen “time behind leader” given at any other race I’ve run. 



 

Aldrich Timing had some technical difficulties before the Home Run Hustle 5K started and the owner asked if anyone could help.  The issue was getting the results to broadcast on their TV accurately.  They fixed the problem and had everything going smoothly just in time for the race. 



 

City Notes:

 

I learned that Saint John’s has amazing Michigan farming soil, some of the best in the state.  Ninety percent of the soil in Clinton County is classified by the Michigan DNR as “prime growing soil.”  Saint John’s uses its dark rich soil to grow tons of peppermint and spearmint. 


Photo Credit: Crosby Mint Farm Facebook Page

 

https://www.michigan.org/city/saint-johns

 

The city has a mint festival yearly to celebrate their strong mint farming heritage that dates back to the mid 1800’s when Michigan’s mint production was closing in on New York, the national leader in mint farming at the time.  With Michigan’s harsh winters mint farmers in the state had to be proactive.  Adding muck to mint farm fields improved water retention and caused soils to be even richer, which helped protect mint plants from winter elements. 


        Photo Credit: https://www.michiganwow.com/home/2018/8/12/st-johns-mint-festival-2018
 

By the 20th century 90% of the entire world’s supply of mint was Michigan grown and Saint John’s became known as, “Mint City, USA.”


Photo Credit: Crosby Mint Farm Facebook Page


https://www.mintfest.org/heritage

 

The Saint John’s mint Festival happens the second weekend of August every year. The dedication and hard work of generations of mint farmers is honored, farming families are celebrated and some of Michigan’s best Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream is sold.  I wish Saint John’s had a Mint Festival 5K.  I would register for it in a heartbeat.  The festival is something I want to go to next year, now that I know about it.  


Photo Credit: https://www.michiganwow.com/home/2018/8/12/st-johns-mint-festival-2018
 

I really liked the layout of the Saint John’s city website.  It is very user friendly and easy to navigate around.  It seems very community driven.  It has an “Around Your City” section to make residents aware of construction, closures, events etc.  It also has “Meeting Agendas” and “Service Request” buttons.  





It is not antiquated with lists of information that are hard to maneuver through.  Whoever was involved in designing the city’s website did a fantastic job.  It’s unlike other city websites I have come across.  It made me want to get more involved in the Saint John’s community and I don’t live there. 




City Sign:


The Saint John’s city sign was an upgraded version of city signs that have advertisements for service organizations in town (Lions, Kiwanis, Rotary, K of C).  It had the emblems underneath “Mint Festival City.”  It was a mint green with gold accents and just a few feet taller than me.  There were tall bunches of grass on either side of the sign we had to navigate around to take the picture.  Ryan did a great pose in the grass in front of the sign.  Saint John’s State Champions sign (next to the city sign) had dates as far back as 1926.  The much older state titles were something unique to Saint John’s.

 



Other Awesomeness:



I met a fellow runner while we were sitting in the grass relaxing.  I noticed a necklace she was wearing.  She told me her son made it out of dandelions.  It was so cool.  Ryan overheard the conversation and promptly started picking Dandelions in the area.  He successfully duplicated the necklace by the time we got home and gave it to me.  It was sweet and impressive. 

 


The Fred Meijer Trail runs through Saint John’s.  It is a paved trail through the city and goes through downtown Saint John’s.  The trail passes by the Saint John’s Veteran Memorial Park, Co-Operate Silos and town gazebo. 

 


I looked up local Saint John’s bakeries and Cupcakes and Kisses popped up on my Google search.  We love Cupcakes and Kisses.  I only knew of the bakery in Owosso.  We had a hard time finding the Saint John’s location.  We passed it twice because it didn’t have a big store sign.  The sign was small and red with tiny font.  Lights were hanging over the sign that made it even harder to see.  




When we opened the door and walked in, it was like being in Owosso.  The presentation of baked goods and decor was amazing.  They had a gluten free basket and other gluten free items for Luke around the store.  




We have to restrain ourselves in Cupcakes and Kisses otherwise we would bring half the store home.  




The rabbit poop Luke got was my favorite baked good from our Saint John’s Cupcakes and Kisses trip.  In Owosso my favorite item is their Hershey Kiss cookies. 



 

Saint John’s reminded me of Mason with its amazing Clinton County Courthouse in the center of downtown.  I loved the fountain at the courthouse.  You can stare down North Clinton Avenue and see the four-story courthouse filling the entire clearing at the intersection of East State Street.     



We had been in Saint John’s before for an emergency Wendy’s burger stop months back.  I saw that Wendy’s on Old U.S. 27 and remembered it.  It’s a great Wendy’s.  I made a special dedication video to the Wendy’s.  I was really craving iron after running at the Home Run Hustle.  A bunless double stack did the trick for me.

 



I left the Home Run Hustle curious about the raffle mentioned in the RunSignUp description.  There were no signs or announcements about it that I found.  I saw three different shirts and large boards about the Peter's Sunny Day Foundation.  I didn't think shirts were being raffled off.  I did not see anything else on a table anywhere.  I loved the mission of the Peter's Sunny Day Foundation that stated, "

“The mission of the foundation is to create more ‘Sunny Days’ for the families with more time spent making precious memories and less time spent dealing with worries and stress. The foundation works to offer reprieve from the demands of everyday life for parents while giving the children much needed distractions from their battle with cancer in the form of gifts and special experiences.”



It's great to have medical expenses covered when dealing with illnesses like cancer, but even more meaningful to get “fun” experiences and memories with children paid for so families can live their lives to the fullest incase the most unfortunate outcomes happen. 

(https://www.peterssunnyday.com)

 


Course Rating:  3.8 Stars

Post-Race Food Rating:  3.8 Stars

Swag Rating:   4.8 Stars

Awards Rating:   N/A

Race Execution:   5 Stars

Restroom Rating:   5 Stars

Aide Stations:  4.8 Stars

                                         Timing Company:  5 Stars

Post-Race Activities:  N/A

 

Home Run Hustle Quote:

 

“Some things go slow, slow, slow and then – wham!  They’re over.”

-         Henry Blodget






Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)