NHFD 5K (New Haven - 2021 - 5K)

 

NHFD 5K Photos


139 Mile Drive




Registration:

I love inaugural runs.  I don’t know how many I’ve been to without running numbers, but it’s been at least half a dozen.  Sometimes I even love inaugural runs that don’t give out much information due to the suspense of what great unknown things could be waiting.  I found the NHFD 5K on RunningInTheUSA.com.  It was a very cheap 5K that would take place the morning of New Haven’s fifth annual “Family Day.”  I love runs that are tied to festivals.  They give our family a lot to do.  It was listed that there would be finisher medals and refreshments at the end of the race and that the course would go through downtown New Haven.  The starting location was near the railroad tracks downtown.



Packet pick-up for the NHFD 5K was at a few feet southeast of the start area on Main Street across from Fountain Park next to a bright red First Aid tent.  Race staff manually wrote down bib numbers next to participant’s names as they checked in.  It looked like they had just under 40 participants on their check-in sheets.  The race was not chip timed.  Staff were very busy moving from area to area putting everything in place before the start of the race. 



Course:

I had not run a 5K in the shape of a right triangle.  Main Street, Clark Street and Haven Ridge Road almost made a right triangle if it wasn’t for Main Street bending slightly and not being completely straight.  I am still going to call the NHFD 5K course a triangle in this blog.  




The triangular course in New Haven was an odd 1.27 miles.  I say odd because no number of loops equaled 3.1 miles.  It was not clear how many times we had to repeat the triangle.  


I looked at my running app and tried to judge how many loops I needed to run when I saw the first loop’s distance.  I wasn’t sure if it was a short or long course.  I decided to go with the three loop "longer than a 5K" option.  I figured that if I ran over, at least I would run a full 3.1 miles.  I ended up running 3.43 miles which is really odd to me.  1.27 three times should have been 3.81.  The finish being in a slightly different area than the start did cut the last loop a little, but I didn't think it was that much.



The best part of the course was the portion of Main Street that had vendors and artists lining the road for New Haven’s Family Day.  They were very supportive every time participants came by.  Many walked to the outside of their booths to clap for us.  Two ladies in particular shouted words of encouragement and I got their picture after the race.


Most of our course scenery was New Haven homes.  The coolest landmark on the course was the New Haven Schools Administration Building.  It had the New Haven water tower next to it.  I made a black and white version of the administrative building photo I took because it was so cool.  A second awesome running landmark was Haven Place Park.  It is across the street from Haven Place.  Haven Place put the 5K event together as a fundraiser for the New Haven Fire Department.



Other than the Family Day vendors, the New Haven School Administration Building and Haven Place Park, the course was a lot of homes on roads that had steady inclines here and there.  When I looked at a Google map after the run, I saw we had run by New Haven’s Centennial Cemetery.  I did not notice the cemetery from Clark Street while I was running.  The graves did not start right next to the road and there were trees, but I still don’t know how I missed it.



I don’t have many pictures of the NHFD 5K course because I did not continue to take pictures past the first loop.  It was the same scenery three times and I used it as a break from picture-taking.



The finish and start line were not marked, not even on the ground with chalk or washable spray paint.  We started as a group gathered in a designated area and finished by running past run staff standing out in a spot a few hundred feet from where we started.



I liked the triangle loop but couldn’t understand why the course couldn’t have branched out through the cemetery or a neighboring street for some extra mileage.  Race staff should have been able to map out a 1.55 mile loop.  I got the impression no one checked course mileage.  It felt like race staff just came up with a cool path they liked and went with it.

Like a good old, “It’s close enough.”

….Except it was not close enough.



Lack of volunteers and multiple ways to cut over on side streets made the course very easy to cheat on had people wanted to.  It is something race directors need to be mindful of.  Cheating is no longer isolated to half and full marathons.  It sadly happens at all distances.



I am glad there were Macomb County Sheriffs at the first two intersections we had to make right turns on.  There was no course signage or course volunteers at the NHFD 5K.  There were no sheriffs at the third right turn by the start and finish area.  Due to the odd loop distance the course could have went straight past the finish and come back to get accurate mileage. That possible option confused me even after I had viewed a course map prior to the race.  I was expecting 1.55 mile loops and therefore, second guessed where I needed to go when the loop ended up being 1.27 miles.  I made the choice to run the loop again based solely on other runners ahead of me doing it.  That’s usually a safe bet to make in racing.

 …Except for one time at a race in my hometown. ^_^



Swag:

I received a generic black and white bib with no shirt.  Even though the run was only $20, I have received shirts from $20 runs numerous times.  There have only been a handful of runs I have not received a shirt at.  Most shirtless runs have given other kinds of swag out.  I've gotten hats, neck gaiters and even socks before. 

As for finisher medals, they had plastic medals laying out on their registration table after I finished.  The medals said, “Winner” on them and had red, white and blue lanyards that snapped together.  It was stated in registration they would have finisher medals.  Even though I do not think overall winners should receive additional age group awards, I do believe age group winners should receive finisher medals.  I only received an age group medal.



The finisher medals were very cheap.  They looked like something out of Oriental Trading.  I still liked them because I like everything, they were different and no matter how fancy the item is, it holds a strong memory for me.  If the run’s budget was tight I think ribbons would have been better than the medals they had for participants.  I don’t think most adults kept the plastic ones.

I was hoping I would get a shirt so I would have a race logo/design.  There was no Facebook page or website for this run.  It was hard to find an event logo.  I did finally find something I could use on the fire department’s Facebook page.

All participants received assorted plastic Hawaiian leis at the awards ceremony.

They were “laid” out on a table after the awards ceremony concluded.  ^_^



  Race staff were very nice and gave all five of us leis.  They had a lot of extra leis.  I didn’t get the theme of the leis and how it tied into the run, but I still thought they were really cool.  The leis were completely unexpected and one of those "great unknowns" of runs that leave out information I mentioned at the beginning of this blog.


Restrooms:


There were Porta-Johns in-between trees near the fountain.  They were very close to the start and finish in a great spot for any participants that needed a bathroom stop on the course.



Food:

The was an orange water jug that read, “5K + Volunteers” with cups to fill with water.  Glasses of water were not pre-poured.  There was a box of older bananas on the same table.  The food could have been presented better.  I didn’t take anything.  One additional table would have helped a lot.



Awards:

Registration didn’t state anything about awards.  I noticed three very different medals laying on the table between the plastic finisher medals.  There was a first, second and third place medal and they were beautiful.  The designs were great, they came in Olympic colors with really large professional lanyards that had the place written on them.  Overall medals were given to the first three participants to finish the 5K.  There were not separate awards for male and female.  I was somehow the third-place overall finisher with only two men ahead of me and took one of the amazing medals home.  I love the medal but I think there should have been awards for both male and female.  They could have cut it down to only first and second place overall with such a small race.  I’m not saying that because I would have gotten first place had they done that.  I’m suggesting that because more female runners could have placed.



Anyone that knows me knows third-place is my favorite place.

The awards ceremony for the overall medals was quick with an even smaller group that gathered.  Race staff handed out each finisher medal to participants after overall medals were given out, instead of at the finish line. 


Timing:


There was no official timing for the NHFD 5K.  It’s okay for a run not to have a timing company to save money.  I’ve seen that done a lot at smaller runs.  The times I’ve been to runs without official timing there was still a clock or stopwatch running and usually popsicle sticks or notecards handed out at the finish line.  Almost all of those runs still had official results that were written down and then put into an Excel sheet etc.  


At the NHFD 5K there was no timing at all.  I emailed the race director twice asking if they had results and received no reply.  I don’t know why they had bibs.  Maybe there are results or maybe there were results and they didn’t keep them after the race.  Either way, I will never know.  It is a tad frustrating.  I do like to have some kind of official result from different cities as a log of where I have been.  For New Haven, it looks like I will have to rely on my MapMyRun results and map.



City Notes:


          New Haven is a very small village in Macomb County.  It is almost a true square (minus the eastern side) totaling 2.53 square miles in area or roughly 1.55 miles long on each side.  I use the word “city” as a general term.  I try to use accurate terminology when I get to my “City Notes” section.  


The Salt River runs through New Haven.  New Haven has its own school district.  New Haven High School is a nice looking school.



New Haven is home to the Grand Trunk Western Railway Company Depot that has a very similar Italianate style to the Smith’s Creek Railway Depot in Greenfield Village.  In 1954 passenger trains no longer made stops at the New Haven depot.  By the 1990’s the depot became officially out of use.  Thomas Edison was on the train route that stopped at the New Haven, Michigan depot.  He sold newspapers and snacks to train passengers.  Mickey Rooney took the same train ride through New Haven in 1940 while he was playing Thomas Edison for the movie “Young Tom Edison.”  It was a very exciting day for the village of New Haven when Mickey arrived.  The Grand Trunk Western railway depot is still in its original location from 1865 and has since been restored as a village museum.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Haven,_Michigan)

(https://lostinmichigan.net/old-depot-new-haven/)



Haven Place opened its doors in March 2015 as a non-profit community center in downtown New Haven.  Haven Place offers free classes that include piano and sewing lessons, holiday themed craft days, home school hang out days and bible studies, to name a few.  Haven Place hosts many after school tutoring sessions and puts on a variety of community events.  One of the coolest events I found on their website was their “Ladies Pamper Me Day.”  For $20 women got a hair style, facial, makeup, their nails done and a massage.  Other fun community events put on by Haven Place include Karaoke nights, outdoor movie nights and Euchre tournaments.  The Haven Place mission is,

“To promote unity and create opportunities for our community to grow and strive.”

(https://www.havenplaceinc.org/index.php/about-us/)



City Sign:


I found two city signs in New Haven.  The first one happened to be right next to the start of the race in downtown New Haven by Fountain Park.  I was able to get a city sign picture before the race started, something that is very rare for me.  I thought we were done with city sign pictures until we passed a much newer city sign on the way home at the corner of Gratiot and Main Street in a large grass area.  It was a tad challenging to take a picture with, but we made it happen.  We’ve been in worse city sign predicaments.  The first city sign was nice with the flag pole and fountain in the background but the metallic color of the letters blended in with the bricks.  The second New Haven city sign was amazing!  It looked new, had great stone work, the official seal of New Haven, great colors and a fantastic design.



Other Awesomeness:


New Haven’s Family Day was amazing!



I am adding another rating category, “Post-Race Activities” to my ratings area below starting with New Haven.  If a race does not have activities or a festival, I will not mark them negatively.  I will write N/A for those events.  Runs are not expected to have things for participants to do afterwards, but it is a lot more fun if they do.  As for some kind swag, post-race food and timing, those things are expected at races. 



Family Day kept Jason and the kids busy while I ran.  I got to run past them once due to the course loops.  When I finished running I went over and played games with them.  They had a golfing game and multiple variations of cool ball toss games.  The kids got prizes for scoring that included candy and small toys.  Luke got a really cool truck.



For the first time ever the kids got to go on trampoline bouncers.  We’ve seen them at fairs before, but they have always been quite pricey for the short time kids get.  In New Haven, all kids activities were free.  It was awesome!  Will didn’t get on the trampolines.  He was a little scared.  Luke and Ryan went on the trampolines multiple times.



There was a giant inflatable water slide and bubble area on the grass.  All three kids spent a lot of time on both.  I got some great screaming faces flying down the water slide and bubble goofiness.



A petting farm was setup across the street from the kids games.  We met pigs, a male and female turkey, a pony and a crazy haired chicken.  We got to see the animals being unloaded from their trailer in the morning.  The animals looked a little cramped in the trailer.  I felt bad for them.  I don’t raise farm animals so I don’t know for sure if that was okay.  They were still nice animals to meet and greet.



The kids made chalk drawings before we walked to see all of the  festival vendors on Main Street.



We got a free crocheted dish towel from a local church.  I can never have enough of them.  It was an amazing gift.  When the church asked us to stop by for worship I don’t think they were expecting us to say we lived two hours away.  It was a funny moment and they were very understanding nice people.



All the kids took turns at a Bean Bag Toss.  Luke was the only one to successfully land a bean bag in the hole and was given a $10.00 gift card to Five Below.  It was a very generous prize.  We went to Five Below in Battle Creek a few weeks later.  Luke bought a hilarious fabric shark head and a s’more maker with his gift card.



We stopped in some booths but did not purchase anything.  The kids were starting to get cold in their wet shirts.  We passed a “Thrivent” tent.  They had backpacks filled with school supplies they were going to raffle off at the end of the day.  We loved the idea but Jason told them it would better for locals from the community to enter.  The Thrivent team offered to give us all shirts instead.  I couldn’t believe the level of generosity in New Haven.  It was unbelievable.  They had sizes for all of us and the best part…



The shirts were dry for the kids and SO soft!

 They were made of the world’s softest cotton.  They said, “Live Generously.”  I loved everything about them.  I think they gave them to us because they felt bad we didn’t want to enter the backpack raffle.  It was extremely kind.  We took a picture with the Thrivent group before we left.  Thrivent is a financial service organization established in 1902 by 500 members that started a life insurance fund by donating $5-$13 dollars each.  Since it’s beginning it has grown into what Ethispere Institute named, “The World’s Most Ethical Company.”  The Thrivent website has all kinds of financial tips, articles and ways to connect with financial advisors.

(https://www.thrivent.com/)



On the way to our car we stopped at a biker’s BBQ on Main Street and got hotdogs, drinks and chips for everyone on the ride home.  It was donation money to help New Haven and good food.  We were loaded down with so many things from the festival we barely made it to the car with the biker food.



The kids had made really awesome sand art when I ran.  We had the sand art, t-shirts, gift card, dish towel, food and drinks and prizes and candy the kids had won leaving Family Day in New Haven.



Driving to New Haven was absolutely beautiful!  We saw an amazing sunrise.  It became very foggy and the fog didn’t lift until well into the race.  The fog made for some great photography.  I cannot remember the last time I drove to a race with so much fog.



On a very heavy-hearted note, something happened at the NHFD 5K I have never seen at any race before.  An older gentleman dropped to the ground feet after crossing the finish line.  I had left the carnival games area to take some more pictures of the starting area and saw him as he finished.  EMT’s from The New Haven Fire Department were able to get to him extremely quickly.  Within minutes they were performing CPR.  An ambulance came soon after and drove him away on a stretcher.  His body was limp when he was put on the stretcher.  I saw EMT’s rip his shirt open.  By the time the stretcher got to him six people were kneeling on the ground next to him.  It was a very scary situation and very emotional for me to watch.  The kids were having fun and didn’t even know it happened.  I walked back to Jason in disbelief.  I was told the man’s name was Earl and he was from New Baltimore.  I was also told they had gotten his pulse back right as the ambulance arrived.  I wrote the race staff a week later asking if he was okay.  I was very worried about him.  I got no reply.  I contacted them again when I began writing this blog and received no reply.  I even reached out to my new Strev Strut friend Erika to ask if she could ask around and see if anyone knew him in New Baltimore.  Finally, after looking at the pictures I had taken of the fateful moment, I decided to call the New Haven Fire Department and ask what happened to the man that needed medical care at the 5K in August.  They couldn’t tell me what happened to him but they finally put to rest a worry of mine and told me he had recovered after having surgery the following day.  I am thankfully for the New Haven firefighters quick response.  It saved Earl’s life.



On that note, I think it is extremely important that every running event have EMS on site.  It doesn’t matter what distance, what season the run takes place in, trail or road race or how small the event is.  It’s like aide stations.  I believe all runs should have them.  I feel the same about first aide.  You never know what could happen at a race.  Running is dangerous.  You can trip, fall, suffer heat stroke, a heart attack, an asthma attack….so many things can happen.  I have seen runners fall many times.  I have seen an asthma attack occur at a race.  I have used first aide myself.  I was once taken back to the start of Run Scream Run on an ATV.  If a race cannot afford to have EMS on site, the race shouldn’t be held.  I know many races have their events without injuries, but it’s always better to be safe.  In Earl’s case, had EMS not been around, he may not be here today.  Sometimes people only have minutes to be saved.



Although NHFD 5K's ratings seem poor across the board, there was still a lot of heart and great vision put into the race.  It was a first run.  First runs are always a learning experience.  The Family Day festival was fantastic.  That really gave the run a boost.  I have to be an honest race critique (the hard part) but I am also a person that loves small things and things that aren't fancy or expensive.  I don't put higher value on higher value items.  I put value on memorable items.  Ex.  Finisher medals at this run were cheap, but I still liked them because they were unique and fun.



Course Rating:  3 Stars

Post-Race Food Rating:  3 Stars

Swag Rating:  3 Stars

Awards Rating:  3.5 Stars

Race Execution:  2 Stars

Restroom Rating:  4 Stars

Aide Stations:   3 Stars

Timing Company: N/A

Post-Race Activities: 5 Stars


NHFD 5K Quote:

“Never regret a day in your life.  Good days give you happiness.  Bad days give experience.  Worst days give lessons.  Best days give memories.”

– Lessons Learned Life.



New Haven Page


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)