Pigeon Sunset Classic (Pigeon - 2021 - 5K)

   

Pigeon Sunset Classic Photos

185 Mile Drive




Registration:

 

The Pigeon Sunset Classic really interested me because I love driving to the thumb, I loved the city name, evening start and I thought their shirt design with wind turbines in the sunset was amazing.  The run was on a Thursday, which is very uncommon for a run.  I saw an opportunity to get an extra city in on an open day that wouldn’t interfere with other runs. The only hard part would be the three-hour drive to Pigeon and back the same night.  It would be a beast.  If the kids had been in school, going to this run would not have been possible. 

 

 I registered for the Pigeon Sunset Classic on the Sheurer Health website.  They had a very short and sweet race description.  The website layout was very user friendly with great bolded headers, soft fonts and nice accent artwork. 

 

Packet pick-up was quick with nice staff.  They were very organized with shirts rolled and rubber banded in lunch bags with bibs.  Volunteers wore peach-colored shirts with the same design that distinguished them from participants wearing the same navy colored race shirt. 

 

Course:


The kids played in the grass field by the start and finish while I ran.  The course was a very fun and engaging course with a lot of support from Pigeon locals.  There were no significant inclines on the course.  The course path curved a lot.  It was a great tour of Pigeon.  Starting at Scheurer Hospital grounds we went behind the hospital into Pigeon neighborhoods.  I saw two large groups of people watching participants before we entered Pigeon Rotary Park and ran by a baseball game.  We ran around what looked to be a sledding hill in the park.  As we left the rotary park we passed a large canopy tent and an elephant ears food stand (not currently open). 

 

It was back into Pigeon neighborhoods for a short while.  One spectator sitting in a foldable chair on her driveway pointed us to turn right at the fork in the road.  We ran right up next to the concrete silos of The Cooperative Elevator.  It was at the silos I saw the lead runner on his way back to the finish.  That was almost at the halfway point of the race (1.20 miles)  It also happened to be the course aide station location.  There was an ambulance parked on a road near the silos.  I overhead a runner near me yell to the EMTs in the ambulance.  I think she thanked them.  They responded by saying it was good they hadn’t had to move.  It was a unique spot to have an ambulance positioned.  I almost always see ambulances near the start and finish of a race. 

 

We finished the 5K course running through more neighborhoods, an awesome stretch of Michigan Avenue through downtown Pigeon and back to the hospital.   The last quarter mile of the course was the same as the first quarter mile. 

 

Swag:

  

Swag for the Pigeon Sunset Classic had me worried for weeks.  Online registration mentioned that only the first 100 participants would be receiving one of their awesome t-shirts.  There ended up being 70 participants that completed the 5K.  Everyone that showed up got a great t-shirt with the wind turbines in the sunset.  I was really excited when I walked up to registration and saw a shirt in my bag.  At that time I didn’t know how many race participants were present.  I’m not a huge supporter of wind turbines in general (on the fence), but I like the fact that the run incorporated a big aspect of their town into their race logo.  I think they did a fantastic job on shirt design.   

  

Food:


The post-race food table had a three metal bowls, one with apples, one with halved bananas and one with bagels cut in half with a plastic knife in a bag.  A separate plastic bowl had single serving JIF peanut butter containers. There were two plastic kid pools on the ground near the food table.  One pool was filled with mini 8oz water bottles on ice and the other had assorted 12oz Gatorade bottles on ice.  Corky enjoyed the leftover peanut butter.  The kids liked the fruit and bagel and Jason enjoyed the Gatorade.  It was nice to sit and eat in the grass while watching the 5K award ceremony.

  

Awards:


There was a very nice and very official awards ceremony with an MC that reminded me of a Detroit Red Wings commentator.  He had a radio host voice and was very loud.  It was the right kind of loudness for announcing to a crowd.  He announced cities that each age group winner was from.  It was so cool.  I was really frustrated with myself for running so hard and coming in just short of third place.  It would have been so cool to have Marshall announced with how far we drove.  Jason had told me to run fast which is something he normally doesn’t do, so I did.  I didn’t get a PR, but I ran faster than I have at 5Ks for months.  I really pushed myself in Pigeon.  After the awards ceremony concluded the MC took a few minutes to thank sponsors and announce participants that had driven a long way to come to Pigeon.  Three women from Midland, Rochester Hills and Oakland, Michigan were announced with a Grand Rapids man.  The two women from Oakland County had a long two-hour drive and the woman from Midland a solid hour and fifteen minutes.  The Grand Rapids man had almost the exact same drive time we had at three hours.  I was very surprised coming three hours from Marshall I didn’t make the MC’s distance list with only four people on it and three with shorter distances.  I thought I had another shot at getting acknowledged after not placing and it was 0-2 in one night.  Sometimes a participant’s hometown may be a great distance from a run, but they were staying at a friends, visiting family etc and didn’t actually drive that far…

 

…Or they are just as insane as I am.

 

  Either way, I like seeing people from all over coming to small town runs.

 

Wooden plaques with gold accents were given to the overall male and female 5K winners.  Smaller trophies were given to first place age group winners in five-year increments.  Second and third place age group award winners were given medals with a large “2nd” and “3rd” on them.  Second place medals were silver with red lanyards.  Third place medals were bronze with yellow lanyards.  I love that first-place age group winners got really special small trophies instead of medals.  I have never seen that done at a race before Pigeon. 


City Notes: 


I got a lot of great scenic pictures on our drive up to Pigeon.  There were cool marsh areas, hilarious billboards on the expressway, awesome corn fields and of course the mesmerizing wind turbine fields.  The Harvest Wind Farm covers five miles of farm fields and produces 52.8 megawatts of electricity.  There are thirty two 400 foot turbines in Harvest Wind Farm field.

 (https://www.wind-watch.org/documents/harvest-wind-turbines-elkton-and-pigeon-michigan/)

 

Pigeon is also home to Apple Blossom Wind Farm which broke construction 6 years ago in 2016.  Apple Blossom has 29 wind turbines  and can power 38,000 Michigan homes.

(https://thumbwind.com/michigan-wind-farm-map/apple-blossom-wind-farm/)

 

Besides being known for over sixty one 400 foot tall hunks of metal that rotate through their farm fields Pigeon is only 7.5 miles from the shores of Lake Huron.  In 2003 Pigeon’s Cooperative Elevator was the largest grain, feed and bean processing company in Michigan.  The business was started six years before the town of Pigeon was incorporated in 1897.   It's concrete silos, still used today, were built in 1950 and could hold 160,000 bushels of food each.  By 1966 The Cooperative had 27 silos and could ship 500 rail cars full of beans, wheat and corn around the country.  By 2013 capacity grew from 300,000 bushels to 21.2 million bushels including their other thumb locations. 

(https://www.coopelev.com/about-us/co-op-history/)

 

The coolest part of the Cooperative Elevator Co. was seeing the shoots coming off each silo that poured food right into box cars of trains and cargo beds of trucks. 

 

We saw a lot of history in Pigeon.  The older buildings in the city made for great black and white photographs.  Pigeon had a really nice Firefighter memorial in front of their Farmer’s Market.  The Pigeon Library was quant and very nice with an awesome Pigeon silhouette above the name.  A gas station in town had a “Welcome to Pigeon” mural on the door.

The sun was setting as we left Pigeon.  The sky turned bright pink and purple.  It was a really beautiful night ride out of the city.

 

City Sign:


There were two standard green metal signs we found in town.  One was a city limit sign and one said “Welcome to Pigeon.”  I got a picture with the city limit sign on our way to the run and the other two signs as we were leaving town.  I was very glad that we found the huge wooden sign in the center of town.   That kind of city sign is the one I am always searching for, the sign each city uniquely creates.   I was so glad Pigeon’s city sign was all lit up with plenty of light.  I don’t take a lot of city sign pictures at night, but when I have, they haven’t always been lit up.  Pigeon’s city sign had a roof on it just Grass Lake’s city sign.  It was a much larger version. 


Other Awesomeness:


It was a very long six hour round trip for a 5K run, yet no part of the trip seemed exhausting.  The kids had a great time trying out their new scoop ball sets.  The weather was perfect.  We had a great Red Lobster dinner on the way to Pigeon.  We are a lot further from thumb cities living in Marshall.  I miss traveling to the thumb as frequently as we used too.  There is something about the thumb of Michigan I really enjoy.  I loved the scenery on the drive to Pigeon.  I got one of the coolest hay bail field pictures and a lot of great pictures of wind turbines, corn fields and a giant marsh with so many egrets!

 

Pigeon had an amazing event atmosphere with lively groovy music playing loud and lots of spectators gathered by the start and finish.  There many families at this run.  The run was on Sheurer Hospital grounds.  Right across North Caseville Road was the helicopter pad for the hospital.  We got to see a helicopter landing during the awards ceremony.  It was so cool!  When we left to go home an ambulance was leaving the helicopter pad.  It didn’t have its lights on so hopefully it wasn’t anything extremely serious.  We had never been that close to a medical helicopter pad before.  In 2018 we saw a Michigan State Police Trooper helicopter take off right in front of us on a grass field at Light Up the Night in Saginaw. 

  

I had an embarrassing hilarious mishap when I was walking back to our car right after crossing the finish line.  I pulled up my shirt to wipe sweat off my face forgetting I wasn’t wearing a bra.  I normally do wear bras when I run.  I had an acid reflex flare up on the way to Pigeon and tighter clothing around the chest of any kind makes the discomfort worse.  Luckily, Jason was the only one that got full exposure.  There was no one at that moment directly in front of me besides Jason.  The rest of the running crowd was behind me and couldn’t see anything.  From time to time I will use my shirt if I don’t have anything else to get perspiration off, especially while I am running on a course.  I am so lucky to have been facing away from the crowd.  A husband getting a quick flash is actually pretty awesome.

 

While still in Pigeon we hit a cat that ran across the road.  We stopped and Jason went into the corn field looking for it.  It was yelling in pain but kept managing to run away from him when he tried to get to it.  Jason eventually had to leave it as it went too deep into the field and was extremely hard to find with a cell phone flashlight.  I really hope the cat had minor healable injuries.  We’ve never hit a domesticated animal on all of our travels until we hit the Pigeon farm cat.  It was a very unfortunate sad situation.


Course Rating:   4.9 Stars

Post-Race Food Rating:  4.7 Stars

Swag Rating:  4.3 Stars

Awards Rating:  4.9 Stars


Pigeon Sunset Classic Quote:

“Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo.”  - Jon Sinclair.




Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)