History Hustle (Albion - 2021 - 5K) (Virtual)

    History Hustle Photos

11.6 Mile Drive




For the first time in four years (13 straight races) the #RunAlbion series cancelled a run in their series.  It was extremely sad for race staff and runners.  My goal was to run all three Albion races this year.  Last year I missed Run the Rock while it was still held during the covid shutdown.  Ironnically, I will have a similar 2021 year in Albion with only two live races of three.  This time the cancellation was due to weather, another love of mine.

 

I’m always looking at weather in advance for upcoming runs.  I saw that my June 26th weekend looked a little concerning for the History Hustle and Pittsford Firecracker 10K.  As Friday came along there were storms in the morning and early afternoon that swept through.  Storm activity for the night changed suddenly for the better.  Albion made the call to cancel at 1:00pm.  I tried to email them and hint that weather may be better but I didn’t want to push the issue.  I kept hoping they could make it back on and have the run, but I understand that once you cancel an event it looks even worse to flip flop.  It was so sad when at 6:00pm the weather was perfect for running.  To help with my disappointment, because Albion is now so close to us, we drove out to the course so I could run it virtually at the start time of 6:30pm. 

 

For the fourth time we got the same amazing parking spot right across from the start line in front of Malleable Brewing Company.  The kids went with Jason to Victory Park while I ran the course. The History Hustle was the best run to be virtual with my familiarity of the course.  The course rarely changes in Albion.  They had a slight change in 2019 due to a theater rehearsal on campus. 

 

I knew all the turns I had to make.  The traffic light crossing downtown was the only spot that had me a little worried.  I was able to avoid a red light by timing my start strategically.  After that it was smooth sailing.  The temperature was great thanks to overcast clouds.  I was excited to see my family in Victory Park.  When I got into the park the kids were busy playing and Jason didn’t hear me yell to him.  I missed the lady with the cat by the trail entrance.  I missed the Albion volunteers who are always so happy and cheerful.  I felt the most alone when I came out of the woods near Albion College Equestrian Center into Riverside Cemetery.  There are always two volunteers at an aide station where the cemetery comes into view from the woods. 

 

I saw one runner finishing, a runner starting and a couple starting to walk the course when I got to Albion.  I was not the only one that decided to come out to do the virtual run when the race would have originally happened.  I think a handful of people that lived close saw the weather and wanted to still come out. 

 

My family didn’t make it to the finish line.  There was no little girl with dandelions.  I missed the staff underneath their white tent with awesome post-race sweets.  It was a very different experience.  Albion’s course is always a little short of a 5K so I ran an extra .7 of a mile to get to 3.10.  When I stopped I wasn’t far from the Kalamazoo River so I walked a cool-down mile to Victory Park.  I got to stop and see the small East Branch Kalamazoo Dam near South Hannah Street for the first time. 

 

Before we left Albion we stopped at Malleable Brewing Company.   The food looked great but it was exprensive.  A To-Go Coke was $3.50 in a 16oz styrofoam cup.  We decided to get dinner at The Grand River Brewery in Marshall instead.  We had never been there.  They had mini steak fillets as a kids meal choice.  Luke loves steak.  I was able to get a belated Father’s Day gift for Sean at the Brewery. 

 

I am really sad that Albion cancelled the History Hustle this year.  It was a double blow when the weather ended up being okay.  Albion let their participants know early of their decision and I respect that they wanted to keep us safe.  I’ve been on the otherside of a run not cancelling due to weather when they should have.  It was exciting for me but only because I am a weather nut.  I am very glad I was able to come out and run my virtual race at the original start time and on the actual 5K course through Albion.

 

….Until Forks 5K!

 




Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)