HEARTS IN MOTION 5K (Zeeland - 2021 - 5K)

   Hearts in Motion 2021 Photos

101 Mile Drive

Registration: 

 

Compassionate Heart Ministries had a Hearts in Motion 5K Run/Walk and a Flamingo Fun Run which were offered in-person and in a virtual format.  Both races received race bibs but only the 5K was timed.  Their RunSignUp page was very well laid out with tons of information for the in-person and virtual events.  RunSignUp mentioned they would be using the “Ignite” timing company.  It was a timing company I had never heard of.  They also mentioned on their registration page that they had a new course route.  I learned from registration that Compassionate Heart Ministries is a place for 14-35 years olds with mild to moderate disabilities to come and meet people and get to know Christ.  It was awesome that the run gave a disclaimer that shirts ran small.  I like extra space in shirts so I went a size up when I registered.



Course: 


The Hearts in Motion course was a very unique loop course.  The first loop was 1.7 miles and the second loop was 1.4 miles.  I had not run on two loops of different distances in a race.  We ran past a cool pond in Huizenga Park, around the Zeeland Little League Softball Complex, along a cornfield, past an awesome 20 foot windmill and past a very enthusiastic balcony of people cheering for all the participants.  We came past the start/finish area on the first loop.  We ran past lots of cheering people waiting at the finish line before we set out on the second shorter course loop.  The second loop didn’t go past the corn fields, it took a shortcut through the athletic complex back into the condominium complex.  We passed the cheering balcony a second time!  The course was filled with tons of volunteers, many had awesome inspiring signs.  It was a flat paved course that made the time go by fast.  There were constantly things to look at and keep participants engaged and motivated.

 

Swag: 



Luke was registered for the 5K late just hours before the race.  They had extra t-shirts from the Flamingo Fun Run even through he did the 5K.  I loved Luke’s Flamingo Fun Run shirt.  My 5K shirt was very minimal with small writing near the top.  I did like the little hearts but I definitely would have preferred the Flamingo Fun Run shirt over mine.  It was a lot more fun and colorful.   My shirt was extra soft and very comfortable, I liked that aspect of it a lot.  There were no finisher medals for this run.  Luke and I got mini white frisbees with “Compassionate Heart” on them which we had fun with after the run.  Jason tried multiple times to land a frisbee on Corky’s head without success.  

 


Food: 


There were two long tables in front of a “Joy Bus” with water bottles and five different kinds of fruit bars, apple cinnamon, blueberry, strawberry, fruit and grain and….

 

Gluten Free Apple Carmel baked chewy bars!!!

 

I was so happy that Luke had a gluten free post-run snack. He often can’t have the real fun treats after runs.  We often try to find him something in town after we leave runs to make up for it.    

 

 

Awards:



Awards were done in a different way.  The Fun Run gave awards three deep and the 5K only went two deep in the same age group categories (5 year increments)  It was surprising to me that the 5K had fewer awards than the shorter Fun Run.   I once again had a thought that I should have done the Fun Run instead.  They had overall finisher awards for the 5K.  I don’t believe they gave overall awards to Fun Run participants.  It was unclear in registration.  They said “one” finisher award to overall male and female which made me think it was only for the 5K.   


City Notes: 

 

 

Zeeland’s Hearts in Motion was an evening run with an hour drive home so it was hard to stay around and see the city of Zeeland this time.  We stayed at the run for awhile after it ended playing with frisbees and at the play structure in Huizenga Park.  Huizenga Park was really awesome!  It had a lot of cool playscape equipment, including a glider!  We saw the Zeeland water tower.  The Holland Hospital Lab Services building was really cool.  Zeeland Farm Services has a huge plant by 196.  Its silos looked really pretty at night.  I plan on going back to Zeeland during the day to see more awesome things and add to the town portion of the photos in the city album. 

 

 

City Sign:



The Zeeland city sign was amazing!  We have driven by many times in the past.  Before I was taking city sign pictures I thought it was awesome.   Zeeland’s city sign is on 1-196 right as you get off the expressway.  It’s a HUGE brick city sign.  It’s a slight challenge to get to being at the intersection of main roads and it takes a walk up a hill to get to the sign.  We climbed up on it from the back so we could stand on it for the picture.  Zeeland is my favorite city sign picture.  I loved the sun setting in the background and how epic the picture turned out. 



Other Awesomeness:

 

We stopped at Billy Bones Best Wings Ever on 44th Street in Grandville on the way back home from Zeeland.  It was a really interesting restaurant setup.  You placed your order on a tablet when you walked in, got your own fountain drinks from a pop machine and got your order when it popped up at the kitchen window.  The food came out in to-go containers and we threw our trash away.  All a waitress had to do was wipe down the table when we left.  The food was good.  The cornbread, roasted chicken and fries were the best.  I didn’t like the wings, I think it was just the sauce.  I usually love wings.  I was surprised that the wings didn’t live up to the “Best Wings Ever” sign but everything else did.  We had a good time at dinner before traveling home. 

 

Luke won first place in his “10 and under” age group!  He got to go up to the awards table by himself and get his medal.  He smoked me by 40 seconds this time.  I was very tried on this run.  I almost always do worse on evening runs.  I still love them.

 

The Compassionate Hearts building was really nice inside.  It was extremely spacious, had fantastic bathrooms and cool décor.  It was a great venue for packet pick-up.    

 

While I was running the first loop of the course I saw a young girl screaming and crying as she was running.  It looked like her mom was running just ahead of her.  She was so upset and kept saying how she didn’t like running.  I felt really bad for her.  I’ve never seen a child so frantic and upset on a course before.  I wish I had more information on what was going on, without that all I would be doing is making assumptions.  There were so many young kids at this event.   




Zeeland Page

Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)