CAPA GLOW RUN (Hillsdale - 2021 - 5K)

 


35.8 Mile Drive



 

Registration: 

 

The CAPA Glow Run was part of the TRI-COUNTY Run/Walk Series.  They gave a $8.75 discount on their $25 registration if you registered a family of four for the 5K event.  It was a good discount.  I thought the registration deadline listed online was one of the earliest I’ve seen at April 1st with an event on April 24th.  The run was at night which really worked with my schedule and its aim was to help eliminate child abuse in Hillsdale County.  There was a TRI-COUNTY Run\Walk Series website link on RunSignUp, but when I clicked on it the website seemed a tad outdated.  From what I could see from past info the series had a lot of new cities I could run in and a lot of nice runs.  The Facebook Group for the TRI-COUNTY Series was updated for current events.  CAPA Glow Run was the first run in the 2021 series. 


Course: 


The course started at Sandy Beach by Baw Beese Lake.  The sun was setting when we arrived.  They had broken participants up into five starting groups.  I was in the second to last starting at 8:38pm.  The course was a 1.55 mile straight path on the Baw Beese Trail out of the park and past Lake View Cemetery.  The turnaround point was right before the trail met Barnard Road.  There was a nice cement flower garden to run around at the turn around point. The trail became dark very quickly into the run.  Almost every participant was lit with glow sticks, some more than others.  I saw an awesome cop on a huge horse standing on the side of the trail monitoring.  The horse and cop looked like something out of a Halloween movie in the dark towering over us.  They were so still.  About a quarter mile into the course I got a cold ear headache and couldn’t run with the pain.  I stopped, called Jason and waited for him to come drop a headband off to me on Lakeview Drive.  I had to walk off the trail.  I was really upset because the mistake cost me a lot of time and it hurt.  I should have been better prepared with the temperatures that night. 


Swag: 


I got an awesome neon green t-shirt with BIG bubble “CAPA Glow Run” letters.  I loved the bubble letters and color of the run shirt.  They also had tons of glow sticks for participants to put on if they hadn’t brought any or wanted a few extra.  They had pre-made loop bracelets, necklaces and glow stick pendant necklaces on a table by packet pick-up.


Food: 


There was a folding table under a canopy with Chewy chocolate chip granola bars laid out very neatly covering almost the entire table.   They also had full size water bottles for participants. 


Awards:


There were no age group or overall awards given at the CAPA Glow Run 5K.  There was a costume contest for best “glow outfit” given to the two best glow outfits of the night.  I was one of the CAPA Glow Run costume winners!  I got a $15 Starbucks gift card in the mail a week later with an awesome card that I framed and hung on my running wall.  I worked really hard on my glow costume using over a hundred glow sticks from huge packs the kids had gotten from Christmas in 2019.   I told the kids I would buy them more if I could use them.



City Notes: 

 

Due to the lateness of the run and still being 45 minutes from home I only got the two Hillsdale city signs on the way home.  I was able to get a few city pictures on our way to the run from the car.  Hillsdale has a building downtown that resembles the Flatiron building on Fifth Avenue in New York.  It is smaller but still triangular in shape and stands out as you drive downtown.  Hillsdale had an awesome water tower.  I really liked Sandy Beach and Baw Beese Lake.  There were multiple parks with play structures on the lake.  One had a really cool metal rocket kids could climb up in.  Another area by the lake had oversized painted beach chairs.  I found it odd they weren’t facing the lake, but I loved that they had murals painted on them. 


City Sign:


We saw two Hillsdale city signs on West Carelton Road.  One was out on the grass by a dealership.  I thought both signs were awesome so we stopped at both.  They were only a half a mile apart from one another.  Both signs had nice flower gardens made around them.  They were totally different signs in color and shape. 


Other Awesomeness:

 

I ran a 10K in the morning in Niles and had a good break between the Hero and CAPA Glow Run.  Hillsdale is really close to our new house.  I surprised myself and was feeling really good running in Hillsdale but stopping and waiting for my headband really screwed that up and caused me to run almost a quarter mile longer and closer to 34 minutes for the 5K.  Cold affects my ears in really weird ways.  I have to wear headbands or some kind of ear covering in all Winter and some Fall runs.  I was really glad Jason was there to drive and give me the headband otherwise I would have had to walk all the way back to the start and probably get my first DNF at a race.  My family saved the day and made a situation a lot less bad than it could have been. 

 

I spent hours on my glow costume as a resting period between races.  I hot glued all the glow sticks on a pair of old pants and shirt from Oasis Hot Tubs.  Unlike all my many other “One day hot glue” costumes that withstood more than their projected day, my CAPA Glow Costume started falling apart on the way to the run and got progressively worse as I ran.  I felt like I was shedding glue sticks every couple feet.  When I finished I had 40% less than when I started running.  I felt bad about the potential littering but I also saw a ton of glow sticks on the ground.  I think race staff did a sweep after the run concluded.  I wasn’t the only person that lost glow sticks.  I saw an amazing fairy with lighted wings.  I didn’t think to use lights on my costume.  It was awesome!  It was a big day for me making a costume again.  It had been months since I entered a costume contest at a run.  I really enjoy making costumes.  



Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)