BAD BUNNY (Shelby Township- 2021 - 5K)


46.7 Mile Drive 

Registration: 

 

There were registration limits of 100 participants for each Bad Bunny event.  Bad Bunny had three events, one dirt trail and two paved path starts spaced 45 and 30 minutes apart.  I registered for Bad Bunny on February 28th to make sure I got a spot in the 100.  I have wanted to run Bad Bunny for years.  I love Move-It Fitness events!  Move-It fitness puts on Winter Loops, which was the longest distance I ran in the first sixth months after I started running.  The one thing I noticed about Bad Bunny registration on RunSignUp was the layout and flow.  Instead of a paragraph of writing everything was short and to the point in list format.  I liked it.   I was a quick read.  Everything you needed to know for race day was on the registration page.  I liked how swag was under the, “What you get” section.   The registration layout resembled my new blog style breakdown that I started for 2021 events. 


Course: 


The course was in River Bends Park.  I ran in River Bends Park on New Years Day in 2020.  I’ve also ran in Bloomer Park for Move-It Fitness events.  The Bad Bunny course was the same course as In With The New in 2020.  I felt different.  There was a huge parking lot and field with a play structure and pavilion.  We started next to the pavilion.  It was an absolutely beautiful winter morning.  The course went from narrower trails with high grass and trees into thick woods with a wider trail.  The path opened up into a clearing at one point with amazing sun views.  We went up and down some steep hills and over wood boards and bridges.  We crossed over the blacktop path multiple times.  The trail became very tight right after we passed Bad Bunny!  Bad Bunny was standing on the other side of the largest bridge we crossed above a creek.  We looped around by railroad tracks out in the country before going past Bad Bunny once again and heading down the blacktop path.  I thought it would be blacktop all the way back to the finish before I came to a coned-off area of the blacktop leading us back into the woods.  It was our last trail segment and a great one.  The trails were very muddy at times from the temperature changes and snow melting.  I got so many great sunlight views through the trees. There were great Clinton River views.  The path turned a lot.  It didn’t need many course arrows but it was definitely very circular and winding.  At one point I saw Utica High School through a clearing.  I also passed a neat statue that resembled something from Greek Mythology. 


Swag: 


Just as they had it listed on RunSignUp I received a finisher medal, t-shirt, buff, chocolate and was entered automatically into a raffle.  I thought the buff was an awesome extra.  Move-It Fitness gives out really nice finisher medals and shirts at all of their events.  The Bad Bunny medal was see-through acrylic with the cute version of the Bad Bunny on it.  The real Bad Bunny is slightly more horrifying.  I liked the black and white colors of the shirt.  Just as I love the logo on the medal I really like having a Bad Bunny shirt.   The buff was the opposite of the shirt; white with black writing and logo.  It was an awesome contrast.

 

Food: 


When they said chocolate would be given out to participants I had no idea they meant an amazing “Bunny” Hershey’s chocolate bar!  It was awesome!  I only had a bite as I gave the majority of it to Jason.  He loves Hershey’s chocolate.  They also had full size water bottles for us on a table under the pavilion.  It was great that they got bunny shaped chocolate bars.  It was totally appropriate to advertise the chocolate as “swag” with how cool it was!    

 

Awards:


Instead of doing their traditional awards due to the pandemic Move-It Fitness did a raffle instead.  They had separate drawings for the pathed and trail races so that there would be more winners.  There was a board with winning bib numbers at the tent after we finished.  I didn’t win anything this time and debated purchasing a Bad Bunny beanie hat but we did not have cash on us and I didn’t want to hunt down an ATM in Shelby Township. 


City Notes: 

  

This was not my first time running in Shelby Township or at River Bends Park.  It was a different themed run and a different time of the year.  The park looked totally new to me for some reason.  It was snow coated the last time I ran in January.  This time it was muddy.  We didn’t stay around in Shelby Township this time.  Shelby Township doesn’t have a downtown and it a very large city.  There are so many shops, it reminds me of Ford Road in Canton.  Shelby Township is home to Packard Proving Grounds that dates back to 1928.  There is a very cool old water tower on the grounds and a lot of history.  Stony Creek Metropark, Holland Ponds and River Bends Park are awesome trails for people to get out and be active in Shelby Township.  Stony Creek Metropark has 4,461 acres of park and the 500 acre Stony Creek Lake.  It spans across two counties due to its size. 

 


City Sign:


I had gotten Shelby Township’s city sign after In With The New in 2020.  We went on a wild goose case to find it.  It took a long time.  I remember doing multiple google searches, driving around and finally asking a friend.  Mound Road is a busy road.  Jason dropped me, made a Michigan turn-around, came back to take the picture and then made another turn-around to pick me up.  Shelby Township’s city sign is in a dip that the city lines make near Sterling Heights.  Shelby Township is a perfect square on three of four sides.  It gets funky on its southern border. 


Other Awesomeness:

 

I was really exhausted on this run.  The night before I had a Pot of Gold alcoholic drink from Applebee’s carry-out.  I never drink but this drink was exceptionally good.  Even though I drank it with dinner it left me feeling a bit weird because I so rarely drink.  The following morning I wasn’t hungover by any means but I was feeling a lot less able to run for some reason.  I definitely learned a lesson when it comes to alcohol and endurance.  I find it funny and ironic now that the run is over.  I was glad the course was a tad short of a 5K because it took a lot out of me to finish this trail run. 

 

Bad Bunny was indeed creepy and I loved that we saw Bad Bunny twice!  My second picture from a distance was exceptionally creepy.  In person, Bad Bunny is actually really cool.  I said “Hi” as I ran by.  I love it when costumes are out on courses, except for nighttime.  Had Bad Bunny taken place at night the bunny would have freaked me out next to the bridge in the dark. 

 

We saw an amazing red sunset on our way to River Bends Park.  I love morning driving because of how beautiful the highways.  We see all kinds of clouds and colors.

 

I saw some awesome pink Ainsley’s Angels runners with bunny ears, we got to see two sandhill cranes protecting a nest as we walked by.  Bean loved collecting sticks and playing catch with a random baseball we found in a field.  The kids enjoyed the park next to the pavilion while I ran.   

 

 





Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)