B. NEKTAR 5K (Ferndale - 2021 - 5K)

 


27.7 MIle Drive




Registration: 

 

Registration for Michigan Brewery Series runs is done through Eventbrite.com.  A lengthy description is provided breaking down everything a participant needs to know about the race.  Date, time and address are always on the right side of the description page.  The “Details” button takes you to the registration page to pay for the event.  I’ve always thought Michigan Brewery Series events were on the high side for 5K pricing and that’s one of the reasons I do not typically run them.  You can pay as low as $20.00 to just come and run without anything but if you want swag and a post-run beer you are looking at $40-$50 in registration.  Michigan Brewery Series runs are not chip timed and participants do not receive bibs.  I favor chip timed runs with official results because it helps show I ran in the cities.  I do think it’s nice they give a variety of registration packages and options.  I saved money registering for one of their events by choosing the non-alcohol “rootbeer” option for kids.

 

Course: 


The course was a giant bubble letter “E” through Ferndale neighborhoods.  We started heading south on Wanda Street past Wanda Park.  I saw an awesome “Free Little Library” before passing Brass Aluminum Forging and Progressive Metal Manufacturing.  There was a big magnetic crane picking up and moving large objects when I ran by that reminded me of The Brave Little Toaster during the junk yard scene.  I passed a billboard for the first time on a run, it even had eyeballs!  Some houses I passed had interesting things in their yards.  I saw a giant robot hand with a star, a painted window with a guy riding a motorcycle being chased by a green “2020” rat, what looked like a Shiva statue next to wooden windmill and a blue well with the initials “C” and “K” on it. There were 12 turns on this 5K route all marked with great arrow signs.  Some of the turns had volunteers in addition to the signs.  Turning onto E Nine Mile was a nice change of scenery on a main road through town.  The course was very flat.  I imagine that the number of turns on this course could potentially impact pace.


Swag: 


I got a reusable Granny’s Confections grocery bag with a large sample of granny’s jalapeno peanut brittle, a can of B. Nektar “Zombie Killer” hard cider with honey and cherry. I picked a cool orange neck gaiter as my free swag gift.  We had the option of bright orange neck gaiters, pint glasses, travel mugs, sunglasses and ski hats all with the Michigan Brewery Series logo on them.  I did not feel like the $40.29 I spent registering for this particular Michigan Brewery Series run was worth it for what I got.  

 

Food: 


I tried the B. Nektar hard cider because they are often better than beers for me.  I especially liked that it had honey and cherry.  Unfortunately, I still did not like the Zombie Killer hard cider.  I’m not a fan of jalapenos so the peanut brittle was a no go as well.  The post-race food had really unique bold flavors.  They had Raquel’s Cocina food truck by the finish line.  I wanted to save my money for something else in Ferndale.  I was not a fan of post-run food at this Michigan Brewery Series run.

 

Awards:


As long as I have run Michigan Brewery Series runs they have never done awards for participants.  Not having official timing of any kind makes it impossible to do.

 

City Notes: 

 

Funky Ferndale definitely lived up to its name!  It was a very unique town with things I’ve never seen anywhere else.  We stayed in town for hours checking out shops.  Nerd Out was a top favorite, I especially liked their bold paint job.  We went through House of Plants because their amazing display window drew me in.  I love house plants.  The Rust Belt Market was a great indoor artisan market with so many cool things!  The décor inside was amazing, especially the wood board area with a couch and twinkle lights.  I would love that in our backyard.  The had a moose head, huge lit up terrarium, doors with cassette murals, art statues outside!  One booth was all decked out with sharks.  The artist had made a huge wood shark display case and had a flying plastic shark on the ceiling above his merchandise.  Another booth used an old truck to display their products.  I loved the Rust Bucket’s “Caution Wet Floor” bananas. I wish all wet floor signs would use giant plastic bananas!  I bought a Detroit tank top on clearance.  It was hanging next to shirts that read, “City of Ferns.”  ^_^  We got donuts at The Apple Fritter Donut Shop which said on the door it was voted the best bakery by Metro Times in 2018 and 2019.  The donuts were very good.  Chick-Fil-A was lunch on the way home.  It was a beautiful day to walk around the city of Ferndale.

 

City Sign:


I don’t know if I missed a more official Ferndale city sign when I choose two green popsicle shaped ones downtown.   I liked the uniqueness of their shape.  The fact that we found two different sizes was awesome.  They had a ton of Ferndale signs downtown, all the same shape and color.  They were very easy to find.


Other Awesomeness:

 

My friend Mike showed up!  I told him we should run together and he told me to run ahead without him.  It was a little sad but I honored his wishes.  After the race I waited for Mike to finish so we could walk and chat.  He always likes saying “Hi” to the family and petting/holding Corky.  We got pictures with Mike before saying goodbye.  It was nice that I didn’t have to wait as long to see Mike.  I had seen him at the Goodbye 2020 5K in Rochester back in January.  Sometimes I go too long without seeing him in person.  He’s a great friend.  We think a lot alike.

 

The first volunteer as we turned on E. Nine Mile Road saw me take his picture and asked if I would like mine taken.  I have never been asked that by a race volunteer.  It was so nice!  Now I have a picture of myself on a course for the first time.  His picture turned out really nice too.  He had a great smile.  There was also a great sign held by a volunteer by the last turn off E. Nine Mile.  It said, “Go Random Stranger, Go!”  The E. Nine Mile Road volunteers were the absolute best on the course.  It was a great way to finish.

 

I liked the B. Nektar Meadery décor and bathrooms.  They had a standee of R2D2 and CP3O.  It was nice to be upgraded from a Port-A-John to a restaurant bathroom. 




Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)