VALENTINE'S DASH (Kentwood - 2021 - 5K)

 


136 Mile Drive




Registration: 

 

I was in contact with Valentine’s Dash race staff before I registered because many runs were teetering on cancellation with outdoor limits being at 25 still.  I received an email from the City of Kentwood Parks and Recreation stating they were doing everything they could to keep the run in-person.  They had already moved the run’s location from previous years so that they could accommodate waves of participants starting.  They seemed very determined to keep the run live.  On January 16th I registered for the Valentine’s Day Dash.  Registration was a great price at $15.00 each.  I saved $5.00 for Luke and myself by registering us as a couple, the “sole mate” couple.  They were creative with that one.  The race donated funds to the Little Free Pantry which gives food and hygiene products to local people and my favorite part….

 

“No questions asked.”

 

The run was scheduled for February 13th.  On February 9th I received an email notifying participants the event was being postponed one week due to a polar vortex that dropped the temperatures in Grand Rapids to unsafe lows.  I looked at the forecast thinking the temperature was going to be below 10 degrees.  It was surprising when I saw 21 degrees for February 13th’s forecast. The wind chill prediction must have been concerning.  I’ve run in temperatures in the teens before.  Being it was a 5K on streets I would have felt comfortable running but I wouldn’t have done a longer trail run in those conditions.  The unfortunate thing about the postponement was its timing with Montrose.  I checked the start time for both races.  Montrose started at 8:00am and Kentwood had five waves from 11am-12pm.  I emailed Kentwood race staff to ask if Luke and I could be put in their last wave.  I got an amazing response that we could start between 11:45 and 12pm.  I was told they were impressed with my dedication to complete both races on the same day.  Montrose and Kentwood were two new cities that I had anticipated for awhile.  I was indeed determined. 

 


Course: 


The Valentine’s Dash course was not entirely street and sidewalk.  On the way to packet pick-up we went the wrong way past the park entrance and got to see runners heading east on 60th Street SE to the finish.  We started in East Paris Nature Park heading south and then east on the Paul Henry Thornapple Trail.  The trail turned into a sidewalk along 60th Street SE for a large portion of the course until we got to Paris Park Nature Reserve where Kentwood Police were parked and signaled for us to make a right into the woods.  We did a short loop through the woods along Plaster Creek and went back out the way we came down the same path back to the finish.  East Paris Nature Reserve is surrounded by subdivisions but we didn’t see many homes.  It was pretty dense.  It felt totally secluded.  The nature reserve was my favorite part of the 5K course.  Luke and I stopped at lot to take pictures in the woods. We took pictures next to every mile sign.  On our way back to the finish Jason, Ryan and Will drove by in the minivan and waved to us from 60th Street SE. 


Swag: 


We received red long sleeved Valentine’s Dash shirts with white lettering.  It was great Valentine’s Day colors.  It wasn’t too hot wearing the Kentwood run shirts as a double shirt so we wore them out to run over our shirts.  We got brown swag bags with a 16oz bottle of Vitamin D enhanced Shine Water, a Kellogg Protein Bar, sticker, gray gaiter and awesome Ziplock bag full of candy.  The candy bag was the best part of the swag.  In mine I got a lemon head, double bubble, mini pop sucker, 3 Musketeers mini and Trolls gummy worms.

 

Food: 


They had water bottles for finishing participants.  We had already received flavored water bottles, candy and a protein bar in our packet pick-up swag bags. 

 

Awards:


There was no formal awards ceremony.  The fastest runners had awards that were available for pick-up the week after the run or there was an option for awards to be mailed.  I assumed “fastest” meant overall winners, but that was not confirmed.  I saw 14 medals laying on the registration table and wondered what they were for.  I thought for a second the run had finisher medals or age group awards so I asked.  I was told the medals were just for display.  


City Notes: 

 

Kentwood is a city we are very familiar with during our time spent living in Grand Rapids in 2016.  Kentwood has 18 parks!  Woodland Mall is located in Kentwood.  The Krispy Kreme of Grand Rapids is also technically in Kentwood with a Grand Rapids mailing address.  Kentwood may not have a traditional downtown, but it has a huge variety of shopping, eating and parks for entertainment. 

 

City Sign:


We saw the Kentwood city sign coming to the race.  When you get off M-6 and head towards Gerald Ford International Airport you will see it right across from the airport at the intersectional of 44th Street SE and Patterson Avenue SE.  It helped that Envah had a parking lot because Patterson Avenue SE is a very busy divided road.  The sign was still a walk to get to in very deep snow.  Luke decided to run through it.  It was awesome.  We had a lot of fun taking our picture at the Kentwood sign.  It was a great winter city sign photo and experience!


Other Awesomeness:

 

The Valentine’s Day Dash welcomed Valentine’s costumes and there were a few people that dressed up.  My favorite was the card couple whom I took pictures of on the course and after the race.  I chatted with the woman and she told me that had just met the man at the race.  It was a great love story.  What are the chances of meeting someone while you are both dressed as cards at a love run?  We also saw a dog wearing a red shirt and bandana.

 

Volunteer 10 in the wooded nature preserve was so enthusiastic and awesome when I asked to take her picture. I also got two other flag volunteers to stand in a cool pose for a picture.  I really liked the nature preserve volunteers.  When we were leaving a volunteer saw me taking a picture of their “Event Parking” sign and stopped and smiled instead of pulling it out.

 

They had a really cool timing company that had a big monitor at the finish mats.  It flashed our name and finish time in a list.  I had told the race staff I could run the 5K in under 30 minutes when I asked to be in the last wave but I was tired from Montrose two hours earlier.  It worked out to stay with Luke and take it easy.  We came in five and a half minutes after what I had told race staff. 




Kentwood Page

Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)