CUPID'S TRAIL RUN 5K (Owosso - 2021 - 5K)

  Cupid's Trail Run 5K 2021 Photos

73.8 Mile Drive


Registration: 

 

I registered for the Cupid’s Trail Run 5K after my good friend Don emailed me about the run.  He was registering for it with his son Evan.  I had already run in Owosso at the amazing Glow 5K in 2019.  Cupid’s Run was not a timed run and had an open start between 10am and 11am.  Cupid’s Run registrants received $2.00 off the Fortitude St. Patrick’s 5K registration.  There was plenty of parking at Fortitude. I love it when registration pages show images of swag and course routes. The Cupid’s Run had a picture of their shirt and a great map of each mile in different colors through the trails. It was a very informational registration page.  Packet pick-up included our shirt and magnet and was quick, easy and cold.

 


Course: 


The course at Fortitude Farms and Events (formally Fortitude Outdoor Fitness and Venue) was an amazing trail running experience in Owosso.  We went over an awesome large wooden bridge.  I’m not sure what it was over.  It didn’t look like a creek ran underneath, but it was still cool!   There was great music playing at the mile one sign.  At one point the course had a line of pine trees on the right and a corn field on the left.  It was an awesome picture of the contrasting landscape.  In general the course was a mixture of dense woods and trails near farmland with constant hills and very deep snow.  Running through the thick snow on the trails was quite the challenge at times.  Sinking feet are hard to pull up in snow.  Don said he son was not a fan of the course terrain.  They used upside down buckets with red X’s on the trail to signal where “not to turn.”  It was very well marked and helpful.  My phone died at the halfway point of the run and I was not able to take pictures of some cool things they had out in the woods.  I walked back after I finished to get the finishing stretch and mile three sign but it was too cold to walk back through half the course for photos.  I plan to come back in warmer weather and run again to get my missing course photos.  Fortitude has a lot of runs throughout the year and the course is always the same. 

 


Swag: 


We got a white Cupid Fun Run shirt with red letting and a matching large cut out Cupid Fun Run run magnet.  I prefer colored run shirts only because I tend to get white shirts dirty quicker.  My preference holds nothing against the run.  Red and white are great cupid colors.

 

Food: 


Post-run treats included valentine mini gummy bear packages with only white and red bears.  Red and white are my favorite gummy bear flavors.  Sometimes I only eat the white and red gummy bears.  They gave me enough gummy packs for all five of us.  They also had large bottled water for us.  It was already very cold from sitting outside.

 

Awards:


This was a fun run with no awards. The run staff wanted people to come out and enjoy trails and fresh air in nature.  To quote the run, “This event is NOT TIMED and is all for the LOVE of outdoors.”  I thought it was a great motto. 


City Notes: 

 

Owosso is a very cool town with a lot of unique shops and parks.  Owosso has a HUGE downtown!  The last time we were in Owosso we had a jam packed day of nonstop Christmas awesomeness.  It was a night I will always remember with the glow parade, lighting of the tree, horse and carriage ride and santa.  We really felt like we were part of the Owosso community after the Glow Run in 2019.  This time it was a day run in Owosso.  We went to a different part of downtown and got all three boys haircuts by Karl Manke.  His shop was awesome and he was the nicest man.  He was wonderful with the boys.  He gave them suckers after their haircuts and cracked jokes.  I think Karl could cut hair with his eyes closed.  He is an amazing barber.  I was so glad to finally meet him.  It felt like we were meeting a celebrity.  After we left Karl we found, “Cupcakes and Kisses Two Chics and a Scoop.”  It was one of the best bakeries I’ve been to in the state.  The staff was so friendly and welcoming.  There was so much to take in and look at.  The shop was colorful and wonderfully decorated.  They had many gluten free options for Luke.  Our eyes got the best of us at Cupcakes and Kisses and we left with A LOT!  The Hershey kiss cookies were my favorite.  I could have eaten them like potato chips.  We will definitely be visiting Cupcakes and Kisses anytime we are near Owosso.  The same goes for Karl the Barber!  We also got my favorite fast food, Chick-Fil-A, on the way home from Owosso. 

 

City Sign:


When I ran the Glow Run in Owosso we left very late.  We could not find a city sign in the dark.  We passed the Owosso Fire Department and took a picture next to their sign in desperation.  Night made it hard to get a good shot but at least I had something.  In returning to Owosso I was able to find a much better city sign right off West Main Street by the Curwood Castle Park.  I was really excited for the sign upgrade. 

 

Other Awesomeness:

 

I thought the race staff man dressed up as a heart was AWESOME!  He was at the start and finish cheering people on and spreading “the love.”  I also saw a participant dressed up as cupid with a bow and arrow!  It was an amazing costume.

 

I had never been to Fortitude before.  I am really glad Don invited me to this run.  I got to see a totally different part of Owosso.  The Glow Run was street running and Cupid’s 5K was a beautiful trail.  Owosso is a great example of what I would like to do after I complete the city challenge.  I would like to come back to cities I’ve run in and do different running events in different areas.  Cities can be very big with a lot of ground to cover and different scenery to see.  Fortitude has a lot of different things to do.  I saw a buck hanging pole and now I know people hunt there. 

 

I loved seeing Don and his family.  I got to meet Don’s German Shepard Axel for the first time.  Axel is huge!  He ran with Don out on the snow sheet course.   

 

The signage at the run was amazing, especially at the entrance.  They had tons of signs directing us in to park.  In addition to event signs Fortitude had great trail and information signs.  It was a a very well informed run that didn’t leave many asking questions. 




Owosso Page


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)