BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

  Burton Veteran's Day Run 2019 Photos

72 Mile Drive



The 2019 Burton Veteran’s Day Run was nothing short of amazing.  The Burton Race Series is a series I will keep coming back to every year.  There are so many wonderful people involved in the Burton Race Series. Every year they their events get better and better.  The kindness of their staff is simply unmatched.  I always sign up for the series early.  I remember registering for the Veteran’s Run run back in the Spring but for some reason I was not in the system at packet pick-up.  This was a first for me.  I had already completed three of the four series races this year.  I could have walked away with a series medal and gone home.  The wonderful race director came to the rescue.  She acted like she knew me.  She knew we had driven a distance to come up and that I had done the Burton Series before.  She registered me immediately and waived the fee.  I was at a loss for words and gratitude.  It was so nice of her to do that for me.  I still haven’t confirmed if I was registered through my email, but I am 95% sure I paid and signed up. 

The lady at the series medal table was another super friendly person.  We talked and I took my picture with her.  I ended up inviting two other women standing nearby into the second picture and one turned out to be the massage therapist!!  She started giving me a shoulder massage!!!  Burton people are on a whole other level of awesomeness.

Last year I walked the Burton Veteran's Run course with Corky, still healing from a fractured ankle.  I should say Corky walked 1 mile and I carried an old Pekingese in a red sweater like a baby for the remaining two miles.  He can only go so far but it was nice to have his company.  The food at Burton events is always great, and almost the same year after year.  See my picture below comparing my past two plates.  I love the flags along the finish line, the veteran’s that come out for the race start and the wounded warrior runners.  There was an amazing Halloween house blaring cool music with a German Shepherd this year!

The award ceremony was fantastic.  They had an award category for ruck bag runners.  I love that Burton honors people that cannot run by having a competitive walking category with age group awards.  I’ve seen this in a handful of other runs but it’s not as common as I wish it were.  Walkers always amaze me, especially the ones that come in around 30 minutes for 5Ks.  That’s incredible power walking!  I think people that come out and walk three miles should be honored for their achievements just as runners are.  There are runs I return to yearly that I find myself not wanting to return to as the years go on.  Some events start to lose things that make them special.  Burton is not one of those runs.


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)