BREAK THE ICE (South Haven - 2021 - 5K)

   Break the Ice 2021 Photos

155 Mile Drive



Registration: 

 

I registered for Break the Ice on January 12th for $30.00.   $10.00 of my registration was my SWMI RACERS membership fee.  I thought it was a great deal.  With the SWMI RACERS membership I get $5.00 off any SWMI RACERS run for an entire year.  I should be able to make use of it in that large time frame.  Registration listed the event as the 7th Annual Break the Ice and Frosty Dash.  There was a note reminding registrants to make sure they registered for the right event as there were awards for both walkers and runners. Packet Pick-up was at South Haven High School on Friday and Black River Tavern on Saturday morning.     

 

Course: 


It was February on the west coast of Michigan.  I was expecting the most brutal weather and it got pretty close.  I saw a “Heavy Freezing Spray Warning” for South Haven as we were driving to the race. I had never heard of a Heavy Freezing Spray Warning before.  We’ve had freezing rain and freezing temperature advisories but never a “spray.”  That was the part I was curious about.  There was a 40% chance of snow through 9am and it was 16 degrees in South Haven as of 8:38am.  That’s a brutal winter run!  The course started at the corner of E. Kalamazoo and Eagle Street in downtown South Haven.  Only a few people were at the Black River Tavern when I got there.  All the race participants had just walked out.  I got there five minutes to start.  It was a miracle we made it.  I asked staff members that were still in the tavern where to get my packet and they told me the race director was at the start of the race.  On the plus side they had great bathrooms in the tavern.  I couldn’t get my bib in time to start.  When I got to the start line I was told to go.  The race director reassured me I could get an official finishing time at the end.  I’ve never run without a bib except when runs haven’t had them.  I was still nervous that I wouldn’t get a time so I made sure to use my apps to track the run. 

 

The course was a huge rectangle through South Haven neighborhoods.  The majority of the course was down Kalamazoo Street and Monroe Boulevard with short distances down Lovejoy and Water Street.  We passed the South Haven water tower on Lovejoy Street.  I love running up close to city water towers.  When we turned right at the water tower there was a fire hydrant spraying water towards a chain link fence.  The water was freezing on impact.  It made a huge ice formation on the fence and a pool of freezing slush water on a portion of the street.  I got some mist from it.  It would be a precursor to the freezing spray from Lake Michigan in the final course mile.  

 

The first view of Lake Michigan coming around a slight bend on Monroe Boulevard was amazing.  It’s an incredible sight to see the lake in the winter with waves crashing up against huge mounds of ice on the shore.  I got my camera out to take photos and video and was slammed in the face by bursts of icy wind.  I couldn’t catch my breath and had to look away from the lake.  It was in that moment I learned what a freeze spray was.  It was wild and fun to run in.  I couldn’t have run in those conditions the whole three miles.  I was able to take some awesome Lake Michigan photos from the course in between ice sprays.  We went by Lake Michigan again on Water Street by South Beach but this time we were far enough away from the water that I didn’t get hit by the freezing spray.  During the last quarter mile winding east on Water Street I began to get really cold.  I had taken my mittens off halfway through the course.  I put them back on, but I couldn’t shake the cold.  When I crossed the finish line I was ready to get into a warm car.    

 

Swag: 


We got long sleeve light blue cotton t-shirts with the South Haven Lighthouse on them.  The red and blue contrast was really great.  We got awesome finisher ribbons.  They were a brighter blue with the light house and run name.  I’ve never gotten a finisher ribbon.  The kids have gotten finisher ribbons before.  I liked mine so much I bought a white frame at Michaels on the way home.  With red card stock behind the ribbon it made the perfect display.  The practical reason for the frame was to keep the ribbon safe.  It already started to fray on our way home. 

 

Food: 


I think a lot of the participants went back to the Black River Tavern to grab a bite to eat. I hope I didn’t miss a great post-race party.  There was no food anywhere by the finish line.  I got my ribbon and left to get to my family.  When I was in the tavern before the run I didn’t see anything set up for after the race but something could have been put together during the run.  I hope they had something back in the tavern for participants. I haven’t found pictures online showing food or refreshments post-race. 

 

UPDATE: After writing race staff it was confirmed on August 27th that there were no post-run refreshments or food for runners due to covid. 

 

Awards:


It was listed on RunSignUp that there would be awards in five-year increments for runners and walkers, but there were no age group or overall awards for this event on the day of the event.  Nothing was mailed out to participants.


City Notes: 

 

South Haven, Michigan is a very unique coastal town. I’ve been to a lot of towns on Lake Michigan.  South Haven was the first where I could stand on the edge of town and see Lake Michigan from the Black River Tavern.  Most west Michigan coastal downtowns are within blocks of Lake Michigan but the way the town is laid out you can’t see the lake unless you leave town.  There was a lot of large art sculptures and murals in South Haven, may of which were nautical themed.  They had a great candy store, bakery, dog shop and rock shop.  The Golden Brown Bakery had gluten free donuts and cupcakes!!  They had lighthouse cookies!  Sweet Haven Candy Shop had a lot of older and unique candies that are hard to find in a lot of grocery stores including….

 

ANT CANDY!!

 

Shops in South Haven had cool names in general like “The Blueberry Store” and “Nature’s Country Cupboard.”  Nature’s Country Cupboard had the coolest home items.  They had Bob Ross Energy Drinks.  Their small dressing room upstairs was so cozy with a great city view.  In Decadent Dogs the kids got a mini field trip learning about freeze dried duck heads, pig snouts and turkey necks.  We ended up buying a duck head for Bean and Chris’s dog.  Corky got a salmon skin.  The shop was amazing with wall to wall merchandise.  I found too stickers that looked just like Bean and Corky.

 

On Water Street right next to South Beach there was a HUGE sledding hill between two residential homes.  The kids went sledding for an hour there.  The hill would have gone right into the street but the city was awesome and set up tons of hay stacks at the bottom.  The kids hit them a few times and they worked as great buffers. 

 

We went to Six Chicks Scratch Kitchen after the race.  It had a lot of cool country decorations, very nice bathrooms and great food.  The salad I got was huge.  I love restaurants that have homemade dressing. They had gluten free bread! 

 

City Sign:


South Haven had an awesome layered sailboat and lighthouse “Welcome to South Haven” city sign right in the middle of their downtown.  It made it easy to find and take a picture next to.  It was very cold!  We found a beautiful mural leaving town that also said, “Welcome to South Haven” and got that as well.  South Haven’s city sign was one of the best maintained city signs I have found. 


Other Awesomeness:

 

I made a huge mistake with Break the Ice….I thought it was on January 31st and drove the family out to find no run happening…

 

I didn’t have a run on January 31st.  Break the Ice was a week later  on February 6th.  It’s so rare for me to have a weekend without a running event.  I think that is what threw me off and caused me to think Break the Ice was on January 31st.  It was a long drive to make in the winter two weeks in a row.  We stayed in South Haven on January 31st, went to lots of shops, took the majority of my album pictures and let the kids go sledding for what seemed like hours before coming home.  We made a great day of it.  The weather was sunny and mild compared to race day weekend.  It was a much better day to go sledding. 

 

Now I can officially say I made it to a run a week early!  After years of getting to runs at the last minute I have made up for it with South Haven. 

 

Thankfully Break the Ice had a non-chip timed start with a chip timed finish.  Normally I am not big on same start times (no chip timing) for all participants, but this time I did not have a bib so the setup allowed me to get an official time.  I found the race director after the race and she was able to give me my bib.  I keep all my bibs from my runs.

 

Luke was registered to run Break the Ice.  Even though there were a few children his age that participated I didn’t want him running in the freezing temperatures.  I usually don’t register him for winter runs for that reason.

 

I liked how the Break the Ice course kept getting better and better as I ran.  It went from neighborhoods to the water tower, cool beach homes, Lake Michigan, South Beach Park and ended at the South Haven Marina on the Black River.  The scenery got progressively with every mile that went by.      

 

 

We got to spend a lot of time in South Haven.  We went in a lot of shops and met a handful of locals.  We felt like regulars at the Golden Brown Bakery for two weeks.  I love the finisher ribbon I got from the run.  I loved the weather I got to conquer.  If you look at race photos you wouldn’t think it was a good time.  So many participant faces are hilariously cold. 

 

I love a good winter run!




South Haven Page


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)