ODE TO SNOW (Holly - 2021 - 4.17 Miler)

         

Ode to Snow 2021 Photos

40.4 Mile Drive


Registration: 

 

 I was running low on race options for the weekend of January 16th.  I liked the idea of going to Holly, but UltraSignUp is home to more expensive races, even for their shorter distances.  I like how throughout the registration is on UltraSignUp.  They always have a detailed course map with a breakdown of elevation, trail width, terrain and a few pictures.  Ode to Snow’s big events on January 16th were their 8 Hour Ode backyard and 8 Hour Ode continuous race.  The continuous format tests participants to see how far they can run non-stop for 8 hours.  The backyard format sets participants off in 4.17 mile loops with breaks in between.  Both are extremely difficult and greatly test endurance.


Course: 


The course was a 4.17 loop in Holly State Recreational Area circling around Valley and Wildwood Lakes starting on the southeast side of Wildwood Lake.  They race used the address of 5000 McGinnis Road which took us to the completely wrong area north of the course.  We ended up at The Overlook Picnic area.  I saw runners and thought we must be close, not realizing that part of the course was a good portion into the 4.17 mile loop.  It took eight minutes to get back on the main roads and find the actual starting area (which I got to by using the start and finish map on UltraSignUp). 

 

 

The course was a snow-covered winter wonderland with a few big hills.  The giant staircase up to the Overlook Picnic area was the most challenging.  The wood and ice managed to pull one of my YakTraks off.  I didn’t notice until I fell for the third time and a runner ahead of me asked if I was okay.  I landed hard on my butt the third time.  At that point I couldn’t figure out what was happening.  I never lose traction that many times on winter trails.  I looked at the bottoms of my shoes and saw I was missing my right YakTrak.  The rest of the course became very difficult.  The last quarter mile by the finish was on very icy slopes on the south end of Wildwood Lake.  I had to go really slow to avoid slipping down into a freezing hell.  My favorite part of the course were the beautiful lake views.  I could see the layout of the course really well at multiple points from across the lake.  There were mini wooden plank bridges over small creeks.   They were very slippery.  The most unique water crossing was a wood raised path that looked like a ladder over swamp like water areas.  It was long!


Swag: 

 

I got an “The Ode Est. 2019 8 hours of Ode” Mug in replacement of a finisher medal.  My bib was very cool.  It had a map of the course on the back!  That was a first.  It was a very well-made bib. 


Food: 


There was a big white tent with a heater inside.  The had two huge crock warmers full of delicious chicken broth.  I got a 12oz cup of hot chicken broth to-go after finishing.  It was amazing! Chicken broth goes great with winter racing.  I’ve gotten chicken broth a handful of times at winter runs.  The salty warm mix is perfect after a cold run. 

 

Awards:


There were no awards for the 5K, 4.17 mile or 10K races.  There were overall awards for male and female in both virtual and in-person 8 hour ultra races.  The in-person awards were free entries into the Ode to Laz Backyard Ultra and the virtual awards were orange Ode to Laz beanies. 


City Notes: 

 

We have come up to Holly frequently for the annual Michigan Renaissance Festival.  Holly State Recreation Area is huge with 8,000 acres of woods and wildlife.  There are three lakes, two campgrounds and a disc golf course at Holly State Recreation Area.  I didn’t get to take pictures of downtown Holly on this trip, but I will the next time we come back up so the Holly album has them. 

 

 

City Sign:


The Holly city sign was not hard to find.  We first got a sign near the expressway, even though it looked like the slightly more boring standard green sign all cities have, it said “Up North in Oakland County.”  I liked that.  The main Holly sign was really nice with its slogan, “Timeless Appeal, Hometown Feel.”  It had a holly leaf with berries on it!


Other Awesomeness:

 

On the course I saw an awesome sun painted on a tree near the finish.  A saw a heart spray-painted on a rock.  The snow had melted just enough so I could see it.  In the beginning of the 4.17-mile loop on the path that was melted I saw a pinecone on a red string hanging from a tree.

 

Signs on the course were awesome.  If you started to turn the wrong way there were, “Off Course, Go Back” signs to make you aware of your mistake.  In the last quarter mile they had two signs that read, “880 To Go!” and “Run Forrest Run!”

 

The awesome runner that found my YakTrak on the stairs and hung it up at the sign at the top of the wooden staircase.  The race staff were awesome and said they would make an announcement about it.  I went and re-walked the course to look for it.  I knew where I noticed it missing and that was just past the halfway point of the course.  Luckily, I just had to walk to the stairs, up them and back to the start.  It was still a good workout.

  

The race was originally planned for Saturday January 16th but was split over two days to get numbers lower.  We were emailed asking for our preference.  I had no issues being moved to Sunday the 17th .  I offered to be moved thinking a lot of people wouldn’t want their plans changed. 

 

I was the first 4.17 loop finisher even with my one YakTrak slow down!  Don’t ever give up no matters what circumstances you find yourself in. 




Holly Page


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)