MARK THE BARBER'S POLAR RUN (Sandusky - 2021 - 5K)


109 Mile Drive

Registration: 


Registration was $20 until December 1st and only $25 after.  It was a very reasonable race fee.  Registration included a long sleeve T-shirt.  It wasn’t my favorite design but it was for a very good cause, Operation Underground Railroad (O.U.R).  O.U.R rescues kids from sex-trafficking with the help of former police officers and CIA.  Mark the Barber is very passionate about this great cause.  Registration also included finisher medals and a swag bag.  Same day registration was in the main hallway inside Maple Valley Elementary.  They had three tables.  Two had folded shirts and one had O.U.R wrist bands, pamphlets and stickers.  Pre-registration was inside the cafeteria.  I went to the same day registration table by mistake.


Course: 


The course started on the Diamond Walking Trail next to the elementary school.  The trail was a very large steam engine shaped path (Google Earth view) that was exactly one mile in length. We didn’t stay on the trail long.  We headed off into Sandusky neighborhoods.  We passed Sandusky Community Park. Some of the neighborhoods were very wooded.  More snow on the ground in the wooded areas made for great winter scenery. The course was two miles through Sandusky finishing by running the full Diamond Trail.  Running past the finish knowing I still had a mile to complete was a little daunting.  The last mile was the most scenic of the course with beautiful sunlit views of a neighboring farm field through the brush.  There was a lot of cool exercise equipment on the Diamond Trail in vibrant colors. The city of Sandusky did a really nice job when they made the park in 2005.  It’s been upkept well and is very unique!  It even has a sledding hill inside the walking path.  I liked the course a lot.


Swag: 

 

I received a long-sleeved gray tech T-shirt with yellow chains above the print: “Operation Underground Railroad Break the Chain Help End Child Trafficking.” If was the kind of print that can rub off with enough washes.  I have to be careful.  Our swag bag had an awesome sample of Shave Secret shave oil.  I got an awesome gold finisher medal that had a shoe with wings on it!


Food: 


They had a hot chocolate bar with marshmallows and creamer!  I have taken a liking to creamers in hot chocolates made with water.  They had regular sized water bottles and assorted granola bars (Chocolate Chip and Fruit and Nut)  They also had Kar’s Trail Mix packets.  Luke can have Kar’s trail mix and really likes them as a snack.  I loved the trail mix hot chocolate combo.


Awards:


Mark the Barber did his age group award ceremony from oldest to youngest.  It was the first time I have ever seen it done in that order.  I thought this backwards method was AMAZING!  I always try to stay for entire award ceremonies.  I have seen a lot of runners leave after they receive their awards.  Based on my event observations the younger the participant, the more likely they are to leave early.  Older runners are a very big inspiration to me.  No runner knows when they will have to stop running. Running is a double-edged sword.  It’s very good for you, but as my physical therapist once told me, “Running works against your body.”  Runners wear their muscles and bones out faster.  I’ve met many older runners that do not run any longer due to knee pain and knee replacements.


City Notes: 


Sandusky, Michigan, not to be confused with Sandusky, Ohio is a rural Thumb town mixed with old and new charm.  The two parks I saw were very large with many amenities.  Their library building was really nice on the outside.  Their VFW Post has an awesome tank out in front with a flag retirement deposit box that I thought was a red USPS mailbox.  Greenwood Cemetery next to Harry’s Body Shop on S. Sandusky Road has a huge beautiful angelic statue in the center.  The cemetery sign is very small.  It’s a white rectangle with green letters on two wood sticks.  The Sanilac County Courthouse is a really awesome building in the center of town.  Mortimer Lumber and Sandusky Concrete Supply were large businesses in Sandusky I got pictures of.  They had a nice gated downtown Sandusky sign that Elk Street Brewing was behind.  There was a huge “Season’s Greetings” sign on the side of the  Sandusky Police Department.  It was a lot brighter when we left.  Sandusky also had a “Take What You Need, Leave What You Can Blessings Box.”  I love cities that have boxes for those in need.  I saw Mark the Barber’s shop downtown Sandusky with all his awesome signs.  Sandusky had a big gnome like Alma outside one of their shops. I also was excited when I saw Sandusky still had a Pizza Hut.

 

City Sign:


Sandusky had multiple city signs.  We took pictures next three of them and the Sandusky city sign will be a collage of the three.  One was by a huge propane tank!    

 

Other Awesomeness:

 

Mark the Barber is an incredibly kind and good-hearted man with a great sense of humor.  Every year he holds the Polar Run Mark sets goals for fundraising.  If certain goals are met Mark wears funky clothes (colors and prints) to the run.  This year it was leopard print!  I have a picture of Mark standing at the start in his leopard print.  I could tell how much the Underground Railroad Organization meant to him.  He took the time to show a short video and give a wonderful speech before the awards ceremony.  He hugged or gave a handshake to every award winner.  I got a chance to talk with Mark before we left.  I even met one of his sons!

 

Luke had a scary incident attempting to run down the sled hill in the center of the Diamond Walking Trail.  I didn’t bring sleds.  I should always have them in the car in the winter.  Luke thought he could slid down the icy hill and fell halfway.  I didn’t know what he was doing until it was too late to stop him. Luckily nothing was broken and with one small dose of Tylenol he was fine for the rest of the day left with only a bruise.

 

I met three USA themed woman at check-in and asked to take their picture.  They looked great!  I felt like I was at the Olympics for a second.

 

We got Tropical Smoothies on the way home from the run. ^_^

 


Sandusky Page

Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)