POLAR RUN MICHIGAN BREWERY SERIES (Auburn Hills - 2020 - 5K)

   Polar Run Michigan Brewery Series 2020 Photos

38 Mile Drive


 


One of the biggest milestones, city 100, was originally planned to be Ludington.  A fractured pinky toe delayed city 100 and Ludington became city 95.  City 100’s second plan was to be Montrose.  Montrose had an awesome Frozen Blueberry Run in December.  The run would not only be city 100 but would also hit another huge landmark, my 150th run.  I thought the second plan seemed even better than Ludington but then The Frozen Blueberry Run got postponed out to February.  I had to search for a third back-up city.

 

Michigan Brewery Running Series was the race company that put on the first run I missed due to my fractured toe.  Jason ran for me in Livonia at their Supernatural Brewing 5K.  I saw on their schedule they had another brewery run at the Rochester Mills Brewery in Auburn Hills.  Auburn Hills was close to home and I knew what to expect from their races after being with Jason at Supernatural Brewing.  The downside was the brewery series is not officially timed and therefore does not have bibs.  I was hoping for city 100 to be “official.”  They also do not always have medals or shirts for their runs.  They do have a table where you can purchase merchandise related to the series.  Needless to say, even though I was excited, I was let down that the whole city 100 experience may not live up to everything I had hoped it would be.

 

The Polar Run was located off the expressway near an industrial area.  The Rochester Mills Brewery was hidden by Miss Dig’s Corporate Offices.  It was a really nice well-hidden venue.  I checked in and noticed a familiar face from the Commerce City Outrun Hunger 5K I did with Jason.  In Commerce I had walked back out on the course to find Jason as he finished.  I saw a woman finishing with her dog in a sweater.  In Auburn Hills it was the same woman with her dog and her dog was wearing the same red sweater.  I went up to her to let her know I had recognized them and that I loved her dog.  I got their full story.  It was another amazing weight loss story.   Lindsay and ger dog try to run at as many local events as possible together.  You could tell how much she loved her dog.  I love hearing how becoming active helps people lose weight.

 

I checked in with familiar faces from Supernatural Brewing.  They had even more Michigan themed merchandise under their tent this time.  Christmas ornaments and socks caught my eye.  Their black blow-up start and finish arch was in place just feet away from their registration tents.  The weather was chilly and sunny.  It was perfect winter running temperature.  I’ve run plenty of 10K double loops but never a 5K that’s course was two 1.55 mile loops.  5Ks are so short in the racing world most courses don’t loop them.  When I had talked to the race director through email she had called her course boring and sent me a picture of the route.  It resembled a “P.”  I wrote back and told her it was perfect since the run was the “P”olar Run.  I enjoyed the course route.  It was all street running out to Lapeer Road past Newcombs Auto Sales and back past Rochester Mills on Lapeer Road West down to where the road ended.   There were volunteers on the course at the turn onto Lapeer Road and at the turnaround by Premier Acrylics LLC where the sidewalk along Lapeer Road ended.  I saw Lindsay and her dog three times because of course loops.  I smiled and waved every time.  It was a great course to run with friends or family.  You could constantly give motivation as you passed one another.  I wish I would have registered Luke.  Due to the higher 5K pricing of Michigan Brewery Series, I did not. 

 

The race staff was so nice to our family.  They gave me Smore’s kits for all the kids (Luke made a double chocolate Smore).  We went through a self-guided tour of the brewery with Corky.  It led us out through their taproom to the back of the building where there was a huge fire pit being fueled by wood pallets.  We got five chairs right in front of the fire.  They had a lot of chairs and tables for everyone.  The flames were captivating for quite some time.   I kept seeing people come out of the building with food.  I went in and discovered they had a vendor with pulled pork sandwiches and macaroni and cheese.  Unfortunately, I was one person ahead of me too late for pulled pork.  It was cheap good food and the catering guy was really nice.  I got to admire the back of the brewery where beer packaging takes place.  It was a big facility.  We met some nice people by the fire that inquired about my Michigan running shirt.  They had seen me on the course.  Runners are still often surprised to hear that races are still happening, even if they are more spread out across the state.

 

We really enjoyed the warm fire.  At times it became too warm depending on the wind shift.  We left the gathering to figure out how we would get the amazing expressway Auburn Hills sign.  I was determined to get it but knew it would be difficult.  The first idea was to drop me above it and have Jason and the kids circle back around and take the picture.  There was not a sidewalk on the overpass above it and it was quite chilly, so we scrapped that idea.  We decided to pull over near the exit ramp with flashers and have me hop out when there was a break in traffic.  That idea took all of five seconds and worked out perfectly.  Jason was not a fan of it at first.  I was so glad to get the huge welcome sign on 75 that makes Auburn Hills so unique!  We managed to find two other amazing Auburn Hills signs in our circling around the city to get the giant expressway sign.  I was able to make a nice collage of the three signs which was really special being city 100.  One sign was high and epic to climb up on and the other involved parking the car and taking a walk across another busy road.  I like the “AH” abbreviation on some of their city signs.  Those are my maiden initials.

 

I had bought tickets for The Magic of Lights with special Thanksgiving pricing.  I remembered that the show was in Clarkston and had a feeling we weren’t far.  We ended up being only seven minutes from the show at Great Lakes Crossing.  We killed some time before it got dark by getting dinner at Culvers.  When we pulled out of Culvers we were right on schedule for the light show.   The line to get into the DTE Music Theater was at a standstill as we turned right onto Sashabaw Road.  We couldn’t believe how busy it was.  We stayed in line for 45 minutes after getting in line only 30 minutes after the show opened.  It was worth the wait.  The lights were awesome.  The music was great.  The show had a great variety of Christmas themes.  They had bathrooms you could stop at a parking area and use.  It was the perfect end to the day and a great celebration for a huge running milestone.

 

Things I take away from Milestone City 100 are: 

 

1.  The super creepy house that looked like it had had a fire.  I am pretty sure it was condemned.  It still had Halloween decorations outside making it even creepier.  I would hate to be their neighbor. 

 

2.  I got a painted wooden medal as my swag at this run!  Now I officially have a medal from the Michigan Brewery Running Series! 

 

3. Thinking a change of plans was not going to be as good and discovering that the Michigan Brewery Running Series and the City of Auburn Hills were the perfect run and milestone city 100.  The bonfire with event participants was amazing.  I bought red and white socks as a souvenir from the merchandise table under the registration tent.  They looked like candy canes and were a good Christmas running souvenir.  I enjoyed officially meeting Lindsay and her awesome dog.  The light show in Clarkston ended the night perfectly.

 

4.  I loved the magic of Rochester Mills.  It felt like a Christmas wonderland.  I was not expecting the most Christmas filled place of the season to be a brewery.  I’m very grateful for that, especially this year.  It was really cozy with everything shut down and Christmas music playing.  The music was loud with all the machinery off.  It filled the entire building with Christmas spirit.  There was garland strung and a Christmas tree.  It made for great pictures and video.  I will remember it forever.  

 


Auburn Hills Page

Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)