OUTRUN HUNGER (Commerce Township - 2020 - 5K)

   Outrun Hunger 2020 Photos

18 Mile Drive



Jason and I ran together for the first time at the Outrun Hunger 5K in Commerce Township.  Jason’s parents watched the kids for us.  It was a run close to home that helped people in need around the holidays.  We both got $10 Kroger gift cards just for registering for the 5K.  Overall male and female winners got an additional $25 in Kroger gift cards.  There were no shirts.  They had great medals and post-race food.

 

The run started at the Commerce Township City Hall which is located off Martin Parkway.  Martin Parkway has a lot of round-abouts.  I remembered it from my drive to Pinch the Grinch in White Lake last year (Cookie Monster GPS Hell).  We checked in and listened to the race director talk about the impact the run had on local families in need.  We lined up at the start based on pace.  Small groups of runners took off every 10 seconds.  The course had a variety of terrain.  For half of the course we ran down Martin Parkway on a wide sidewalk.  In the first mile we ran on parts of Heron Trail.  A photographer was waiting for us in those wooded parts.  He was really nice.  We went under a really cool spray painted tunnel to cross to the other side of the road and then ran on a hard gravel construction section that led us to the turnaround point.  A very enthusiastic man was there to tell us to turn around.  He was awesome.  I thought I would get to see Jason at that turn-around but I never did.  I kept looking for him until I was almost at the finish with no luck.  After I finished, I walked back through the course until I found Jason not far from the finish line.  We power-walked a little way until he took off into an epic finish line sprint.  He ran faster than I have at any finish.  The uneven gravel and rocks on the course really hurt his knees.  I had no idea what the course was going to be like.  I felt bad it wasn’t a street or sidewalk course for his first “officially timed” 5K.

 

They had awesome gold medals with their shoe logo for us at one table.  There was a canopy tent with pre-packaged food bags that had a bagel, yogurt, banana, orange, water and multigrain bar.  Biggby Coffee had a tent and we got their last two hot chocolates.  They were really good.  I love hot chocolate all year round, but especially after Fall and Winter runs.   They had good music.  The race start location was very spacious and scenic with plenty of seating.

 

Things I take from the Outrun Hunger 5K are:

 

1.  The city sign was the easiest sign to find.  It was only feet from the registration and packet pick-up tent.  We drank our hot chocolates right in front of it on a bench.  I have never had a city sign that close to a run start.  I wish more city sign were so convenient.  Jason and I both got a picture next to the Commerce City sign.  Jason is building on his cities and has five already! 

 

2.  They had great volunteers on the course.  There were areas where runners were coming from two directions.  There were awesome ladies waving us the right way.  It was very hard to make a wrong turn on this course. 

 

3.  Getting to run consecutive bib numbers with my husband on a 5K course.  We were runners 65 and 66!  It was a really awesome first.

 

4.  How fast the runners at this run were!  Jason and I got smoked in our age groups!  Jason had a slightly competitive experience with a woman that kept speeding up when he started to power walk past her.  It was odd and now it is a funny story. 

 


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)