HOLLAND HAVEN MARATHON (Holland - 2020 - 13.1 Mile)

 Holland Haven Marathon 2020 Photos

179 Mile Drive



On March 21, 2020 I ran my last in-person running event at Huron Meadows Metro Park in Brighton.  I was not aware at that time I wouldn’t run again in person until mid-June.  I think we all had hope things would return to normal quicker.   I kept running as long as I could and started running again as soon as I found events that were back on.  Every runner’s time away from running events during this pandemic varies greatly.  I know many that haven’t been back in an in-person race since March.  The pandemic break was longer than my pelvic bone and ankle fracture recoveries in 2018.  It was a tough time for me.  We went to State Parks A LOT to be out in nature.  Exercise and Vitamin D help boost immune systems.  In person running events have an energy that you can’t get running alone in a neighborhood or park.  It helps me to have a sense of community and to be around other runners.  I run faster, do better and enjoy running more when I run in events with people.  I also find it harder to push myself alone.


I was really affected by two of the Burton Series runs in May going virtual, The Labor Day Bridge Run, Mount Baldhead Challenge and Zombie Dash being cancelled.  Saugatuck had a course like nothing I had ever run before.  Running on Lake Michigan sand was indescribable.  Views from the top of Mount Baldhead were breathtaking.   It was very hard to think of missing my favorite yearly running  events.  I pushed on and with a lot of research and emails to race directors I found races every weekend after Pastrami Joe’s Rueben Race in Marshall (my official COVID return back to in-person running).  I’ve been very fortunate this summer with running, but there was one thing missing…my quarterly half marathon.  I love the anticipation of a half marathon in the future.  My last half marathon had taken place just weeks before running got put on hold from the pandemic.


I cannot thank all the brave and passionate race directors that kept their running events going since June enough.  Words cannot describe my admiration for them.  Even with some restrictions lifted it is still currently more time consuming and challenging to hold in-person running events.  Organizing runs before COVID was a huge undertaking.  2020 brought a new set of hurdles to jump over.  Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought a “large” running event would go on in 2020.  The runs I have attended have been small runs with numbers under 100, until the day I discovered Holland Haven.  


I was immediately intrigued by the Holland Haven’s Facebook page.  The first post I saw mentioned a final decision pending health department approval.  The fire I saw in the text from race director Eddie Kline was amazing.  Eddie was determined to have his race no matter what.  I knew that day Holland Haven would happen and wanted to register.  Unfortunately, registration had been disabled pending the Monday health department verdict.  I was worried when it reopened RunSignUp would be rushed by everyone wanting a spot.  When Monday came and Eddie declared his race was indeed happening I got myself an official spot as a half marathoner.  I thought about the 8K but I had to go all in for distance.  Eddie had gone all in, it was only right for me to do the same.  I loved the symbolism.  I splurged a lot on Holland Haven with a higher than normal half marathon price, a bumper sticker and gaiter.  My biggest fear was getting sick and not being able to attend.  Eddie told runners they would be deferred to 2021 if they got sick and couldn’t run. That made me feel better but I still wanted to be there in -person. 


The weeks leading up to Holland Haven had a lot of anticipation.  Eddie posted regularly on Facebook and sent us tons of informative and inspiring emails.  He was so personable and hilarious at times.  His Porta-John email was the best.  Eddie took a huge race and broke it down so we saw the soul inside.  I love the realness and unfiltered nature of the communication we received.


A few weeks before the race Eddie notified participants that he needed to get us into our designated corrals for start.  We were told we would be getting an email with a link to submit our estimated finish times.  It was critical we submit the times by his deadline (A very generous one) or else we could not race.  No exceptions.  Eddie was going to pull off his run (with over 700 runners in three events) by staggering starts from 6:00am until 2:00pm.  He essentially broke down three running events into 21 mini events.  The marathon and half marathon would have nine separate starts and the 8K would have three starts.  Each time slot would have 33 runners and start a half hour apart.  The marathon and half marathon would start and finish in different locations.  The 8K run was in a completely different location.   The corrals based on estimated finish time were to kept runners near other runners of similar pace to try and limit passing.  I found out I was in group H starting at 12:30pm.  I was excited that we didn’t have to wake up early.  Being a slower runner paid off this time.  Other safety procedures put in place included a drive thru packet pick-up Friday, self-serve aid stations, prepacked race bags with medals and snacks and no after race gatherings or celebrations.


I bought new Mizunos that sat in a box in our living room for weeks leading up to Holland.  I decided to break them in as part of my half marathon strategy by running eight miles through Hines Park the Thursday before the run.  My eight miles went really well.  I was able to hold a 9:37ish pace the entire time greatly surprising myself.  The next two days before Holland were resting days.  I ran eight miles the week before my first two half marathons.  I did well at my first two half marathons but struggled a lot at my last two half marathons.  The last half before Holland I ran with a full bladder in the middle of winter through trail terrain. 


The morning of Holland Haven we woke up and got a really good breakfast in Portland.  Fresh squeezed orange juice, French toast and the biggest to-go container of syrup I have ever gotten in my life.  It was hilarious.  We still have it in our fridge.  They were very generous with their syrup supply.  Jason attempted to swap my orange juice cup with the syrup cup (being the same 16oz size) but I caught him.  


The start and finish of the race were in different cities.  I had read all the race emails and Facebook posts prior to the race.  CrossFit in Holland was listed as the packet pick-up location for Friday and there was no mention of a change in packet pick-up location for race day.  We drove to CrossFit and when I approached the finish line there I was told packets were at the race start at Rosy Mound Elementary School.  I wish I would have known that.  We could have gone straight to Grand Haven without stopping in Holland.  Luckily, we still made it in time, but with only minutes to spare.  Luckily, unlike in March I got a chance to use the restroom and give my race shirt to Jason before lining up to start.


The race start was on a hill on Lakeshore Drive.  I could see the start arch walking up from the parking lot.  They had markers on the ground to stand on.  It was an epic countdown and a nice immediate downhill start.  I felt too close to my group of runners for the first quarter mile.  We were all congested together.  I was able to break away and get ahead of the group.  After I broke away I was the third runner from our corral.  I liked being alone.  As I got further along in the course I got more isolated.  It was good for me.  I always worry passing someone will result in me getting passed shortly after.  I was especially worried about this at Holland Haven because I started fast and I knew my half marathon burn out would occur at some point.  The freight train usually occurs around mile ten for me.


The Holland Haven course was a straight 13.1 miles down the beautiful and scenic Lakeshore Drive along Lake Michigan.  I got views of Lake Michigan three times on the course.  The best view was at Palomita Park.  The course was very shady.  It felt like you were on a trail with wooded areas on either side of the road.  I ran past a lot of amazing homes on Lake Michigan.  The course was very hilly with consistent small up and downs.  Every so often there were some larger hills that took more out of me.  Passing the Consumers Energy Generating Complex was another highlight of the course.  I got to run under a coal conveyor that was so high above me.  I ran over a train yard with so many trains cars loaded with coal.  The plant has a goal to eliminate the use of coal by 2040 to reduce carbon emissions.


The best part of the course came at mile 12.  An amazing house put out a treat stand for runners.  It had Snickers, Rice Krispie treats, mini pretzels and water bottles!  They put out a sign that read, “Live life as if everything is rigged in your favor.”  That stand was a huge inspiration and helped me get through the last mile.  I took one of all three snacks and held them tight in my hand until I crossed the finish.  The Snickers was a melted mess!  It hardened by the next day and still tasted delicious.  The stand inspired me so much I am going to put a snack station out for Kona runners in four weeks.  We are lucky that we live on a 5K course.  In past years I have put Baxster out with an inspirational sign and watched so many participants pose for a picture with him.


I hadn’t run a half marathon since late March.  WTF Trail run was my worse half marathon time.  I focused on the positive of it being my longest time running rather than thinking of the official results.  I had not run a lot of long runs leading up to Holland Haven.  I was not as prepared as I have been at past half marathons.  I registered at the last minute.  I wanted to do as well at Holland Haven as I had done in 2019 at Gaylord and Battle Creek.  I was hoping for a half marathon time around 2:10 again.  I was very unsure what I would be able to do.  


I started Holland Haven fast which I’ve read is a mistake during long runs.  It wasn’t my 5K speed, but still too fast.  I surprised myself with my time as the miles went on.  I had an awesome 10K and halfway time.  In the first six miles RaceJoy estimated my finish at 2:01.  I knew that was false because the last half of the race would test my stamina the most.  By mile nine (my favorite half marathon mile marker) my estimated finish time was at 2:06.  It was at that moment I knew my past half marathon times from Gaylord and Battle Creek were a possibility.  I pushed on as hard as I could.  I walked a little in miles 10-13, but not nearly as much as past half marathons.  I felt a lot stronger.  I couldn’t explain why.  I drank a lot and kept my spirits high.  I was really enjoying the course and race.  The weather was absolutely perfect.  It was not too hot and just cold enough to be chilly before starting yet perfect while running.  There was plentiful sunshine and not a drop of rain.  I got passed by one woman from my starting group in the last two miles.  As long as it wasn’t the majority of the group it didn’t bother me.  When MapMyFitness read 12.90 miles we were on an incline.  I knew the finish line had to be right over the hill top, but unlike other races I could not see it at all.  It was a great moment of anticipation.  I love seeing my family at half finishes more than any other distance and I knew they were there.  I got to the top of the hill and sure enough the finish archway was right there, less than 100 feet on a straight downhill.  It was a speedy finish thanks to that hill. 


I scanned the crowd as I ran and didn’t see Jason and the boys anywhere.  I decided I would find them after finishing.  I ran through the finish and forgot to put on my mask. I tried to smile to take an awesome finish picture but was promptly told to put my mask on which made for a very awkward finish picture of me trying to pull the mask out from my hydration pack.  I wasn’t expecting race staff to be quite that intense on mask regulations.  All other runs I have been too have let runners catch their breath before telling them to put a mask on.  


The finish line crowd was extremely small.  Everyone had ample room to socially distance.  I wore my mask long enough to walk twenty feet away from the finish before ditching it as it was extremely difficult to breath.  My heart sank as I couldn’t find or see my family anywhere.  I decided to walk towards the parking lot.  I had to grab my finisher bag there.  I must have looked lost.  A woman driving the shuttle asked me if I needed a ride.  She was really nice. I told her I was looking for my family and didn’t need a ride not knowing at the time I could have used it.  She was shuttling people to CrossFit.  


Our van was nowhere to be found in the parking lot.  Things grew really grim and lonely.  Not only had the finish been mildly frustrating, my family was nowhere to be found.  Sadness came over me and I called Jason.  When he picked up he asked me where I was.  I told him I was at the finish.  He told me he was at the finish.  There was silence.  I told him he couldn’t be at the finish.  He checked my GPS and saw I was eight miles away from him.  Jason and the kids had been waiting at the marathon finish.  The finish line we had mistakenly gone to for packet pick-up at CrossFit in Holland.  I was relieved they were okay.  They hopped in the car to come get me.  I was able to finish all my stretches in the parking lot before they got there.  I also met the coolest French Bulldog and German Shepherd.  It was sad that we messed up finish line locations and I couldn’t see my family at the finish.  Things happen.  With multiple finish line areas things can get mixed up.


As a whole Holland Haven was a wonderful race.  I can’t imagine how much better it is when a mass crowd of excited runners gather at the start in Grand Haven and take off towards Holland down Lakeshore Drive or when those same runners grab their medals from finish line volunteers and stick around to celebrate in downtown Holland.  With the looming circumstances Eddie Kline pulled through and produced an amazing and successful race.  He will go down in 2020 Michigan running history for pulling off the largest running event safely in-person.  This accomplishment is immense.  Runners were ecstatic and so grateful that Eddie pushed through and kept Holland Haven going.  We may have missed some of the old traditions, but being able to race superseded that.  Eddie’s hashtag was #LetUsRun and he did just that.  The show must go on and it indeed did.  Eddie has set the stage for other events to continue forward in the upcoming months.  He has passed on hope and inspiration that running events can happen, even larger runs.


I’ve never doubted the safety of running.  I’ve yet to get sick from a running event.  Running is an inherently contactless sport that participants naturally social distance while doing.  Most runners don’t want to be close to other sometimes sweaty heavily breathing runners.  Running boosts your immune system.  We all need strong immune systems, especially now.  I am a supporter of in-person running events continuing on as we move through this pandemic.  They can be done safety.  I’ve participated in enough runs since June to vouch for this.


Things I take from the Holland Haven Marathon are:  


1.  A race director that pushed the limits, got creative and became unstoppable in his convictions by his passion for running.  


2.  The great race logo and buff.  I use my Holland Haven buff as a mask now.  It’s very light and airy making it much easier to breath. 


3.  The fact that I thought “Holland Haven” was just a cool race name and took Haven for its literal definition until I was at mile six and realized Grand “HAVEN” to Holland…aka “ Holland Haven.”  I’m a bit slow just like I was with “Blitzen on the Dotte.”


4.  The awesome garden sculpture Jason and the kids got me while I was running.  It’s in our garden and will always remind me of this amazing half marathon.  I have trinkets from all my half marathons in our house/garden.



Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)