FORKS 5K (Albion - 2020 - 5K)

 Albion Forks 5K 2020 Photos

70 Mile Drive



The Albion Forks 5K, the third race in the #RunAlbion series took me back to a familiar 5K course.  It was a course I struggled with in June. I was told the course was the same with a minor change of not running through the Albion College campus.  A theater group was rehearsing outside on campus so we had to stay on streets circling the campus.  There were two women in front of me when we approached the turn we’d normally take onto campus grounds.  The first woman went straight (the right way) and the second woman started yelling, “Wrong way!”  The volunteers smiled and told the woman going straight she was okay.  We had a good laugh.  I’m glad the one runner was looking out for the other.  I know I’ve gone off-roading a few times during runs without anyone telling me.


Now that I’ve run the Albion series twice I can say that they bring a wonderful balance of familiarity and surprise to their events.  Their course gives participants a huge variety of landscape and scenery.  I don’t know many other courses where you run through a downtown, college, over a river, over a railroad track, through a park, in a cemetery, into the woods and through a grass field trail all in 3.1 miles.  It’s a truly engaging course that is constantly changing as you run.  Albion, like Burton, allows you to miss one of their events and still qualify for series awards.  Running in all three events gets you more points and can be the difference in getting a place against potentially faster runners.  It’s good to go to all three events if you can.


#RunAlbion events are spread out starting in the Spring and ending in the Fall.  Their last 5K event, Forks 5K is followed by their Foundry Mile Race.  They end their running series in an epic way.  As a Forks 5K participant you can stick around to watch elite athletes from all over the country run their hearts out for a chance to take home $1,000 at the Foundry Mile Race.  I had just enough to time to stretch after my run before the Foundry Mile started.  A crowd formed and police cars got into place before the runners took off.  The MC was funny and engaging.  I remember his line, “First to cross the finish line gets one thousand dollars, second to cross gets a pat on the back.”  Foundry runners ran the first mile of the Forks 5K starting at Albion College and coming back into town.  It was incredible to watch the runners cross the finish line.  When running at those speeds you can’t wave, put your hands up or even smile easily.  Every ounce of physical and mental strength is needed.  The female winner set a new course record.  I walked past the male winner and he seemed very humble in his interactions with people and animals.


I love Albion’s race swag.  Albion knows that running and sweets go well together.  At my first Albion run (History Hustle 2020) donuts were given out at the post-race snack table in addition to water, granola and fruits.  At the Forks 5K the donuts were upgraded to three different kinds of cupcakes!  It’s not just the amazing food, Albion’s race gifts are even better.  I now own a pair of awesome blue sunglasses, a personalized Citronella candle and Forks 5K swag, “Run Albion” embroidered blue socks.  I love how they change it up every year.  Their series medals were an awesome sparkle green this year and had magnets to clip together.  You get a lot when you register for Albion.  This year series winners got zip-up Run Albion shirts!  I’m kicking myself in the butt because I missed Run the Rock when I absolutely could have been there.  In all my research trying to find an in-person race between late March and mid-June I missed it in May. I don’t know how that one got through my research.  Next year I hope to run all three series events.  


The Forks 5K was a redemption run on the same course I struggled with in June.  I got my normal 5K time and didn’t stop to walk this time.  I felt a lot stronger.  I even came in fourth overall female this time around!  The volunteer cat in the park and volunteer dogs by the river were not at the Forks 5K.  I was hoping to see them again.  Albion race volunteers were still wonderful, very kind and helpful.  Course volunteers vary in age in Albion.  They have a lot of older volunteers who seem very happy to be outside watching and helping participants.


Things I take away from the Forks 5K and my second trip to Albion:  


1.  I learned the awesome race photographer and race director are married!  It’s so cool!  They are good people.  They knew me when I got to registration.  I got a great picture of them together.  


2.  Albion makes great race videos after their races.  The people in charge of video production and editing are awesome.  


3.  The great parking spots for families of participants.  We got the exact same spot as last time right across the street from the finish!  There were many other available spots only a walk from the start. 


4.  Albion’s personalized blue comfy socks!  I don’t want to wear them.  They may end up in a shadow frame someday or I may wear them for Albion runs only.  We shall see.



Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)