PASTRAMI JOE'S RUEBEN RACE (Marshall - 2020 - 5K)

  Pastrami Joe's Rueben Race 2020 Photos

80 Mile Drive


After three months to almost the exact date I got registered for an in-person race again!  I completed virtual runs for the cancelled races that I had registered to prior to the virus, but did not sign up for any of the many virtual runs offered during the shutdown.  I wanted to save my money for in-person runs when they returned.  After postponing the 7th Annual Pastrami Joe’s Rueben Race once, the race team decided they were not going to cancel their new June race date.  Every week I have been on Facebook and RunSignUp checking the status of runs and messaging race directors to ask what their plans are.  We had gone to Marshall for an amazing Renaissance Festival a week before this run.  The first race back to racing was not only a new city, it was back in Marshall, a drive we were very familiar with and it was a beautiful day to run. 

I had been in contact with the race director of Pastrami Joe’s.  She was so nice to save a shirt for me with my last minute registration.  After I left packet pick-up my finger started bleeding out of nowhere.  I used my sock for the blood until I looked too much like a zombie.  The registration staff got me a bandaide.  I still have no idea how it got cut.  The race staff were very nice and helpful people.  

I loved their race shirts with the big footprint.  They were made of a very comfortable cotton.  The race start was not in waves because their race size didn’t warrant it.  The cops on the course were wonderful and I made sure to thank them extra sincerely for keeping us safe.  I loved the small post-race snack table.  The DJ of this race blew me away!  I made sure to tell him and get a picture of him.  His music choices were so groovy and fun at the start and finish.

The race course was nice and flat. I followed a group of runners up a hill in a neighborhood.  There was a very clear sign to turn left at the intersection that I did not see.  About seven of us ended up going off the course.  The guy in front of me stopped, turned around and said to me, “I think we are going the wrong way.”  It was a hilarious moment.  We booked it back to the course.  It was just short of a quarter mile screw up.  I remembered passing two very specific women wearing awesome bright colors.  When I got back to the course the two women were in front of me.  I was miraculously able to pass them again after running for a bit.  I felt determined to get back to where I had been and try to make up as much of the lost time as possible.  This is not the first time I have run off a course, but it is the first time it was my fault for not seeing signs.  ^_^

After I crossed the finish I stretched with Corky close to the DJ.  Jason and the kids found a local bakery that had chocolate rock candy in addition to great baked goods. We walked through the entire downtown of Marshall.  The town had really neat shops and a lot of older architecture.  When you leave downtown you come to a huge round-about with an amazing fountain.  The Brooks Memorial Fountain is 91 years old!  I wish I could have seen its lights at night.  After enjoying the fountain we went garage sale-ing!  Marshall was suppose to have its city wide sales, but they got cancelled due to the virus.  Some residents still had sales and we found a lot of cool things.  I got glow-in-the dark purple ghost leggings for $5.  Jason found some LARPing gear.  We got an awesome desk lamp and a stapler.   At the last sale we went to we met a bunch of local women who were absolutely amazing to chat with.  I got a picture with them.  I think it’s awesome that they grew up in Marshall and stayed close for many years.  

Marshall is a small, very unique little town that has a lot of amenities and very special things you won’t find anywhere else.  We ate lunch at the café behind the race name.  The sandwiches were very good at Pastrami Joe’s.  If you are ever traveling down 94 with extra time you should get off at Exit 112 before Battle Creek and check out the town of Marshall.  You will not be disappointed.  Jason and I discovered the Denny’s at the exit was the Denny’s we stopped at when we went to Chicago 14 years ago.  I am so thankful for all the people that worked so hard first postponing and ultimately keeping this run.  Postponing is better than cancelling great runs.  We can run safe. Running is an immune system boost. 




Marshall Page

Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)