HISTORY HUSTLE (Albion - 2020 - 5K)

  History Hustle 2020 Photos

70 Mile Drive



I have been interested in the #RunAlbion series since last year.  I was upset that I missed their opening series race Run the Rock last month. Somehow Run the Rock slipped through my research of races that were still happening.  Their connecting medal design this year is amazing.  I can still receive two of the three medals.  I am so glad this run series was not cancelled.  We have driven through Albion on the way to other runs in the past.  I have always admired the brick road downtown and the North Branch Kalamazoo River.


I got worried when I saw the future radar for Friday night.  We had all the right ingredients in Michigan to have quite a night of thunderstorms.  I knew the storms were forming in Illinois and would be hitting the west coast much earlier than Detroit.  I went to work and hoped for the best.  When I got done at work I walked Corky.  I had it set in my mind the run started at 6:30pm.  I looked up the start time to confirm and saw that it was actually 5:30!  I panicked because it was 4:30 and I wasn’t even home!  Corky and I power walked home and we left in a hurry.  Things calmed down after I messaged the race staff and found out it was an open start between 5:30 and 7:00.  This virus definitely has its perks for runners like me who show up at the last minute so frequently.  ^_^


When we got to Albion Jason and the kids got the best parking spot right across the street from the starting line.   I ran up and was greeted by very friendly race staff and happy runners.  I looked at the radar again.  The thunderstorms would come after the race and spare the run.  I started running with two other men in front of me through town, but was alone for the remainder of the run.


The History Hustle course is one of my top five favorite courses of all time.  It gives runners a bit of everything…. and I mean everything.  Runners start through a stretch in downtown Albion going past local shops along the awesome historic brick road.  After turning right out of town you go over the stunning Kalamazoo River before you cross a cool railroad track and head up a small hill onto the campus of Albion College. The campus is amazing.  It was so well maintained and beautiful in the Spring.  I loved looking at all the campus building architecture.  As you leave campus the course takes you down a neat street passing over the river again next to the concrete wall of Sprankle-Sprandel Stadium.  After running alongside the stadium you make a right into Victory Park and take a trail along nature and playscapes up into gorgeous farm fields!  The views from the farm fields are amazing.  You leave the farm going into the woods for a short distance and come out into Riverside Cemetery.  Riverside is huge with unique older gravestones right next to the Kalamazoo River.  As you leave the cemetery it’s back over the Kalamazoo River for a third time (I saw an awesome fisherman this time).  You then take the short home stretch back into downtown to the finish line.  

Albion’s History Hustle is a 5K that gives you: historical downtown Albion, the Kalamazoo River, winding scenic trails, a railroad crossing, a cool shaded park, an amazing college campus, a peaceful farm field and a sweet cemetery all in 3.1 miles!!  I’ve run through a lot of different scenery, but never so much variety in one 5K.  The History Hustle has an amazing one of a kind course.  The Albion race staff should be proud of their course as it showcases everything unique to their town for visitors and the community of Albion.


Due to incoming thunderstorms we were not able to stay in Albion long after the race.  We would have normally stuck around to walk the town and grab dinner locally.  Luckily, I will be back in September to complete the #RunAlbion series at the Forks 5K.  I will get to see Albion more this summer.


The things I take from the Albion History Hustle are: 


1.  The coolest race volunteers!!!  They had dogs and cats!!! Yes you heard me…a cat!!  There was a cat rubbing up against a race staff woman’s ankle.  One of the staff members near the end had two small dogs.  One started to butt scoot when I went to take their picture and I captured that hilarious moment.  I stopped a lot to get pictures of the wonderful staff.  You could tell they enjoyed being out there with us.  


2.  Effects of high humidity and exhaustion from over preparing.  It hit me harder than ever at Albion.  I don’t believe it was lack of stamina from my shin splits.  I overdid it.  I ran a 5K everyday this week leading up to Albion in addition to walking two 5K’s.  I didn’t realize just how humid it was outside on race day.  At mile two I couldn’t run anymore and ended up power-walking the majority of mile three.  I kept trying to run in small spurts but I just couldn’t do it for longer than a minute.  I should have been disappointed in a longer than usual 5K finishing time but it gave me the opportunity to get the pictures I did of the staff and scenery.   I still gave it all I had.  You can’t be upset when you do all you can, even if it’s not your best performance.  


3.  I told the race staff about my Michigan City Challenge and they asked their photographer to take a picture of me by their finishing line!  I am so excited that Albion thought the challenge was cool.  It really inspired me.  I needed that after missing out on new cities for three months.  


4.  The oreo frosted finishing donut!  I gave Jason half of mine.  I often donate my race food to my family.  It’s a nice treat for all they do, but not nearly enough. 


5.  The amazing swag bag with a citronella candle, teal sunglasses, lip balm and their amazing sparkly green medal!  I watched the storms in Detroit Saturday night with my candle lit outside on our front porch.


I cannot thank Albion enough for keeping their series going and for nailing every aspect of a 5K event so well.  A big thank you to Long Walk Candle Co. (Your candles rock!) and FarmSudz for the lip balm.  Albion had some of the best race volunteers. ^_^  #RunAlbion is a race series every Michigan runner should have on their medal wall.




Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)