BURTON HOT FUDGE RUN & WALK (Burton - 2020 - 5K)

  Burton Hot Fudge Run 2020 Photos

69 Mile Drive





Burton Hot Fudge Runs have a consistent level of greatness every year.  I like how they add and change little things.  This year, in 2020, they had BJ's chili with the hot fudge station.  I also love how you can expect the same awesome things year after year.  I love the course.  I really like the ramp going over 69.  It’s unique in how it curly Q’s up instead of just being a straight ramp to the top.  I noticed a lot of the volunteers on the course were holding Marathon cups.  They had something hot to keep their hands warm.  It made me smile and want hot chocolate.  I was glad they had the original course back this year. I thought the train track was pretty cool last year, but I like the expressway overpass more.

Every year after the Hot Fudge Run I look forward to coming back into the Bentley High School gym for the chocolate treats, chili and hot cocoa.  There were not a lot of runners when I got back inside this year.  Since most were eating in the cafeteria the gym was a complete ghost town.  It was the perfect peaceful place to stretch.  The kids got to run around in the gym.  We headed to the cafeteria for all the post-race goodies after stretching.  At the very end after all runners and walkers had gotten dipping trays I asked if the kids could each have one and the staff had no issues.  The trays always have the best combination of dipping treats; marshmallows, graham crackers, pretzels, strawberries, pineapples, grapes and melons.  I liked the pineapples the best which worked out great because the kids did not like the pineapples.

We went back to the gym after eating because my shirt was a tad small this year.  I found the race director and she exchanged my medium shirt for an extra large.  The extra large fit like I had expected the medium to fit!  I liked how they made men and women's shirts in different colors this year.  The bright pink was awesome.  I think it is my only bright pink race shirt.  Before we left Burton I got a 10 minute massage from Kathy!  I always see her at Burton races but I have never sat down to get a massage from her.  She was amazing and a wonderful woman to talk to.  I need to get short massages from her after every Burton race.  They really help.  If you are ever in the Flint area and need to relax check out Kathy at Pause for a Massage.  I’ve seen more massage therapists at races this past year.  I think it's a valuable thing to have.  I love the ones I saw after running Crim and The Gaylord Half Marathon.  

The volunteers, race director and vendors at Burton races are some of the nicest I have ever met.  Burton used to only have their series completion finisher medal, but now 3 out of 4 of their yearly events have finisher medals in addition to the series medal!  Each run in the series has wonderful post-race food for their runners.  Burton staff are always willing to help.  All Burton races have walking categories for age group awards.  I think The Burton Race Series gets glanced over sometimes due to location and I hope in time that changes in their benefit.  At the same time, their slightly smaller races have a great small-town feel to them.

Things I take from the 2020 Burton Hot Fudge Run are: 

1.  The amazing photobomb from the Genesee County EMS at the balloon arch in the cafeteria.  

2.  Trying to come in third but ending up in fourth place for the third year in a row!  Now I think I want to switch gears and aim for a fourth place streak for as many years as I can.


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)