BLITZEN ON THE DOTTE (Wyandotte - 2019 - 5K)

  Blitzen on the Dotte 2019 Photos

31 Mile Drive




The 2019 Blitzen on the Dotte had so much spunk and character.  It all started with a great race name which I give a solid 9.5 to Wyandotte for creating.  It took me a few weeks to understand the race name.  I messaged Suzy letting her know of my great discovery:  
…“The Dotte is for WyanDOTTE Suzy!!!”  
That is a true story.  

I was very excited about this run because I have family and running friends that live Downriver. My running twin Suzy as a matter of fact.  She is the only thing missing from the photo album for this run.

Parking was absolutely fantastic.  Somehow we managed to get a spot right next to the race start which is so rare.  We didn’t know it was the start when we pulled in.  Timing staff put the mats down after we arrived.  Packet pick-up was in a garage at the Wyandotte boat club.  Thec club sits right on the Detroit River and has indoor water areas for rowing practice.  I had never been there before.  It was awesome. 

The course started on Biddle Avenue and took us through downtown Wyandotte, around Henry Ford Medical Center and through Wyandotte Shores Golf Course finishing at the riverfront.  The actual course directions were tough at times.  I usually don’t have to slow down and confirm which way to go with course marshalls.  I had to do that when I weaved in and out of the golf course.  Suzy had even more issues during her 5K when a lead runner mistakenly did not follow the lead cyclist and her course got changed mid-way through her run.  My 10K course was short by a quarter mile and she ran a quarter mile past her 3.10 distance.  The 10K group was a much smaller race.  When the 5Kers came running towards us about 1.75 miles into our course, it looked like a massive stampede!  I got so excited to see Suzy I waved and dropped my phone.  Luckily the second time I saw her I had more control over my emotions and kept my phone in my hands.  

I loved the peaceful golf course even though we had small hills and large ice sheets to battle through.  When I left the golf course I was on the shared 5K/10K finish surrounded by 5K walkers.  I ran next to an amazing Yorkshire Terrier in a Santa suit.  I told his owner it was a real treat to be running beside him.  She was running with him in a stroller.  I found out at the finish that Yorkie used to run with his owner.  He has over 3,000 miles of running.  He is now 14 and retired from his running days.  I got to take a picture with him.

After finishing I went to the computers and was absolutely shocked to see a second place age group finish.  I’ve never placed at a 10K! Wyandotte was my fifth 10K since my first 10K at Martian Invasion back in April this year.  I got into their medal line inside the boat club.  It went fast for how long it was. The woman in front of me thought she had placed but her name was not on their sheets.  I got nervous thinking I checked the computers too fast.  When I walked up I said, “I hope I am still on your list.”  I was handed a gold first place medal!!  Even more in shock I went back to their computers thinking I had taken someone else’s gold medal by error.  The computers confirmed I was in first place in my age group and to this day I am totally confused as to what happened that bumped me up.  In all my racing this was a first for me to change a place and be moved up.  I’ve been bumped down a few times.

I got an amazing huge bottle of post-race chocolate milk and a granola bar.  We went to the Wyandotte Christmas Parade!  I let the kids have my Calder’s chocolate milk.  They love chocolate milk.  It was just over 1,000 calories in the bottle.  Holy Cow!!! …Pun intended.  I didn't burn that many calories running 6.2 miles.  

The Christmas parade was amazing.  The kids got candy thrown to them.  Not nearly the 50 pounds we got in Farmington, but still a pocket full each.  They took pictures with superheroes and real superheroes. (The Wyandotte Police)  The best part of the parade was the insane airborne remote control cars.  I’ve never seen remote control cars in a parade before.  The kids loved them.  Our other favorites were Santa and Mrs. Claus and the Polish dancers.  

I learned during this run that I will be freezing for the first 1.5 miles of winter runs until my body warms up. My hands were so cold at the beginning (with gloves) it was uncomfortable and I had to fight through it.  At 1.5 miles the cold disappeared and at two miles I took them off from sweating. They stayed off until I reached the finish. That’s the funny thing about cold weather running, you have to wear just enough, but not overdo it.  If you wear too much it can work against you.

Things I take from Blitzen on the Dotte are: 

1. Completely different runners from Roseville. When I got to the final stretch where I ran alongside the 5K walkers, they were so nice.  They not only kindly moved aside for me, a handful said, “Great Job!”  It made me smile.  I have a deep respect for walkers.  Runners share the road with walkers and are not above them.  I've met some runners who think walkers don't matter and it bothers me.  At the end of the day we are all working towards the same distance and destination.  In winter, walkers bare the cold far worse than runners, that alone makes them amazing.  

2. On the last half mile of the course I saw the city of Detroit in the distance!!!  It was awesome.  I had forgotten just how close we were to the city of Detroit.  It was an image I will not forget on a cold but clear sunny winter day.  

3. All the holiday spirit this run had. See my pictures!  I once again made my introverted husband very nervous as I went from stranger to stranger complimenting their outfit choices and asking to take their pictures.  Exersthetic Evolution of Wyandotte was amazing!!!  I got their whole group in a shot.  Dressing up at runs makes running more fun….even though some costumes can make the run more challenging.  

 4.  I met the race director of a run in Allen Park this Spring.  She parked next to us.  

5.  I loved the Wyandotte city sign. Not only was it easy to find, on the same street that part of the course was on, it had a Native American feel to it. The last two city signs were challenging to get pictures next to being on main roads. I’ve learned the art of “speed jumping out of a car” to get quick pictures.  Wyandotte gave our whole family a great Downriver experience.  I have many more Downriver cities to run through with only South Rockwood and Wyandotte on the books 
…for now that is.



Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)