THE ZOMBIE DASH (Grand Rapids - 2019 - 5K)

  The Zombie Dash 2019 Photos

142 Mile Drive



The 2019 Zombie Dash was my ultimate redemption run!!! I have run The Zombie Dash more times than any other run.  My first year running it was my first 5K.  The second year I ran it I had a fractured ankle which caused me to walk. On top of walking, I got lost and ended up walking a 3.62 mile course. I got last place (another great first to add to my running memories)  My past Zombie Dash times were not my best and I have been wanting to get an official time under 30 minutes since leaving The Zombie Dash in 2017.
I was very nervous this year with a thigh muscle that’s been acting up since my mechanical bull rodeo in Montague.  The Zombie Dash fell on a weekend with two other 5K’s.  I knew I was going to be exhausted.  At least this 10K split had a nine hour gap between races.  I did something a little crazy and got into the first wave this year.  I was scared to be out there possibly alone. My first year I used fellow runners as my shield against hungry zombies in order to save my life tags.  The zombies this year were not too hard to sprint around.  Only one could have been reported for charging too fast, but it wasn’t worth it to report him.  I wasn’t the only runner to comment on his speed.  He tried to get us on our way back past Sixth Street Park by shoveling across a grass median at ultra-zombie speed. I lost a life tag by making a bad move between a group of zombies but managed to finish with two.  I only handed one life tag to the finish line team and found another tucked in my pants while doing my stretches.  I made a trip back to the official race timing trailer twice; once for my life tag addition mishap and again after age group awards.  I somehow managed to land third place by seconds, my favorite placing spot!!!  There were so many runners in this race.  I don't know how I got so lucky.  Unfortunately, the age group announcer called the fourth place woman instead of my name by mistake.  Jason was filming the award ceremony.  I was so excited because they were taking pictures of age group winners.  I had to wait until the age group ceremony concluded to confirm my name was missed. I think they felt bad. They gave me a $15.00 gift card to Gazelle Sports when I was supposed to get a $5.00 gift card for being third place.  I am still a little sad I will never be in the picture, especially with the meaning behind the age group win for me.
I still left Grand Rapids feeling awesome. Grand Rapids is a gorgeous city with the Grand River cutting through it.  I love getting the chance to run in the city, literally right next to the expressway at times, along the river and over The Blue Bridge twice!  Jason and the boys shot zombies with paintball guns A LOT while I ran.  The zombie glow paintball booth was awesome. The zombies were very friendly too. I love my shirt, my mug and the post-race cider and bagels.  The Zombie Dash will always hold a very special place in my heart because it is where running started for me.


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)