DENNIS BRUCK MEMORIAL (Dundee - 2019 - 5K)

  Dennis Bruck Memorial Run 2019 Photos

39 Mile Drive



Emotional. Heartbreaking. Amazing.

The family of Dennis Bruck started a run shortly after he passed.  Dennis was riding his bike in Dundee and was tragically hit by a car.  I got a chance to meet and talk with so many of his wonderful family members.  I loved that they have a bike race in addition to the run to really honor what he loved to do.  I was awesome being led and followed by cool motorcycles, some were even playing music!  

The course was a very flat square north of Dundee High School.  There was a small stretch of the course with dead frogs.  There must have been a marsh nearby.  It was sad.  We went around a round-about near the finish.  I accidently followed the lead motorcycles west down Arbor Chase Drive.  I was suppose to go south down Ypsilanti street to the finish.  I don’t know how I didn’t see and realize that.  

I was behind an awesome girl for 75% of the course.  She started walking and I passed her.  She started running and passed me.  This happened many times and I felt awkward.  I was keeping a solid pace the whole time.  In the last quarter mile I passed her and she didn’t pass me again.  

Luke ran the 5K and had an amazing time of 32 minutes.  It was a great course for him.  I came in first place overall for the first time since I began running. I am especially in shock since I followed two of the bikers the wrong way for .14 of a mile and had to turn around.  See my screenshot in my album, it's pretty funny.  I got a beautiful embroidered towel for coming in first.  
A TOWEL!!! …That's another first for me. 
I love the towel.  It has the initials of the Dennis Bruck Memorial Scholarship Event on it.  In addition overall winner prizes they gave out great personalized medals and had a box of Tid Bits for participants.

After Luke and I finished we stretched and watched the cyclists come in.  We walked the silent auction tables.  Silent auctions are awesome.  We needed gas, so I bid on a BP gift card and won it for a great price!  I am so thankful.  Jason won a lot of goodies including a sundae bar for the kids and a fantastic Yeti mug for work. It was awesome for our family. We got a free lunch at the Kozy Korner in downtown Dundee thanks to the silent auction. The meal was fantastic, but the decor was even better.

After lunch we parked next to the river front in downtown Dundee.  We took a scenic walk along the River Raisin.  Jason found a freshwater mussel still intact but unfortunately dead.  It sparked us to research the different types of Great Lakes mussels. 
Aka… Pure Michigan Mussels.  
We came back to town and went into Better Together Treasures. I found some nice Halloween decorations and the kids found a bunch of books.  We've needed more Halloween decorations since we sold almost everything to move to Alaska last year.  It was a very cool store with three levels.  Walking out of Better Together Treasures we stumbled upon the Dundee Farmer's Market where we got great fruits, veggies, eggs, a chicken and put a deposit down on our Thanksgiving Turkey from a turkey farm in Britton, Michigan.

On the way home we stopped at Cabela's to use a gift card from the silent auction that was in Jason’s Yeti mug. We got our favorite Petey's donuts.  Luke got a fudge box.  Corky thoroughly enjoyed walking around the dog-friendly store.  He also really liked lounging on the camo recliners with me.

Cities with rivers flowing through them always become instant favorites of mine.  The only thing that beats river cities are lake cities.  I love water.  Dundee was so scenic.  The Dennis Bruck Memorial Run was smaller in numbers but had a lot of heart. The family of Dennis Bruck puts on a wonderful event every year.  They are good people.  I loved how many family members were present at the run.  It felt like I was part of a family reunion.  I have no doubts that Dennis is smiling big from Heaven for how his family loves and remembers him.


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)