TRAFFIC JAM'IN (Grass Lake - 2019 - 5K)

  Traffic Jam'in 2019 Photos

41 Mile Drive



I drove out to Grass Lake alone with my parents watching the kids and completely forgot I had registered Luke for the 5K.  The staff at registration asked about him or I wouldn’t have remembered.  I felt so bad. I have never forgotten when I have registered him for a run.  We did a virtual 5K later so he could earn his medal.  I remember turning off the exit ramp and seeing an amazing corn field with the Grass Lake water tower.  The sun was setting and it was very picture worthy.  

I got a great parking spot in a shaded neighborhood close to the start line of the race.  The check-in staff were very friendly and had an age group medal on the table.  Running around water is always beautiful and calming.  The course was pretty flat with a good amount of turns.  For this particular race I really wanted an age group award because they were handmade by Ann Arbor Art Fair artists.  A lot of other runners must have had similar feelings because I didn't come close to placing in my age group after getting one of my best 5K times with an 8:36 minute pace.  There was a woman running that I casually passed within a few hundred feet of the finish.  She must have gotten offended by me passing her.  The next thing I knew she kicked up her speed and blew past me just feet before the finish line.  She was pushing herself so much she fell over into the grass the second she made it over the timing mat.  She looked really sick.  I will never be that serious of a runner even as I personally try to improve with time. 

 I met an awesome man named Tom McCarthy from Jackson on the way back to my car.  Tom told me that he had never got an age group award in all his running because the runs he finished in the top three never gave out age group awards.  When he mentioned his pace I immediately looked up his time.  He had not looked up his stats.  I was so excited when I saw he was getting an age group award!  It was the best first age group medal.  I no longer felt sad about not getting one.  That was a great moment I take from this run.  I liked the Traffic Jamin’ festival.  It had great music and food.  I didn’t stay around because I was alone but I hope to in the future. 


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)