LANSING PIE K (Lansing - 2019 - 5K)

  Lansing Day Pie K Run 2019 Photos

75 Mile Drive



The 2019 Lansing Pi Day Run was a run to remember through a severe thunderstorm in downtown Lansing with small hail, 55 mph winds and a tornado touch down just northwest of the city!  I brought an extra set of clothes thinking I would get soaked. I tried to warn the race coordinators in email hours before.  I was told the weather would avoid Lansing.  The run was unique in that we were driven to the start three miles away from where we parked.  I checked the radar in the transport van.  Lansing would take a direct hit from the massive thunderstorm cell coming from Grand Rapids.  When we got out of the van I spoke to the race staff asking what weather protocol they had in place.  I was told there were overpasses on the course for safety if needed.  There was nothing I could do.  I had to get back to the Corky and the van.  The storm would hit in 10-20 minutes.  I wouldn’t be fast enough to complete the course.  A mile into the run a strong chilled wind swept past us.  That’s when I knew it was upon us.  I stopped and told a volunteer showing her radar on my phone.  She made a call.  When the rain and small hail started I successfully stopped a handful of runners and got them to stay under an overpass until the worse passed us. Wind whipped around the overpass so fiercely.   The downpour of rain was amazing.  After about five minutes runners started to leave the overpass and run in the still pouring rain to the finish.  Corky was a faithful severe thunderstorm Chihuahua waiting in the car for me when I crossed the finish line.  I walked through flooded Lansing to get my pie slice and then went home with a medal that looked like a "Happy Little Tornado!”  Jason noticed how the pie man resembled a tornado. I drove to this run with only Corky. We battled more severe weather on our drive home. It was a bumpy ride, but the pie was great!  I will always remember this run.  It’s not often a run doesn’t get cancelled during a thunderstorm.

Lansing Page


Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)