SUPERNATURAL BREWING 5K (Livonia - 2020 - 5K - Husband Run During Injury)

  Supernatural Brewing 5K 2020 Photos





It was extremely difficult coming to terms with the fact that I had an injury that would keep me away from running for six weeks.  I was very frustrated that my everyday actions caused a toe fracture.  I would have rather fallen tripping over a root while running a trail.  It made it even harder knowing that my 100 city goal was going to be put on hold after months of planning and being so close.  On the positive, it was a blessing that I went two years free of injuries.  I am very thankful for that.  Trying to figure out what to do with the runs I had booked for October was a troubling decision.  I wouldn't be able to get refunds but deferring races to 2021 was an option for some.  Jason offered to run in my place.


The Supernatural Brewing 5K was part of the Michigan Brewery Running Series. I choose it because it was so close to home.  It's nice to get breaks from long weekend traveling.  We've driven by Supernatural Brewing for years, but have never been inside.  I always liked the name.  I had been wanting to add Livonia to the city list for quite some time.  I'm not a drinker, especially beer, but I still enjoy beer runs.  Beer runs are a lot more than just beer at the finish line.  I’ve gotten cider and hot chocolate at a few.  


When we pulled into the Supernatural Brewing parking lot they had three tables set up outside.  One table was check-in, one had t-shirts and the other had a lot of cool goodies with Michigan logos.  The kids got Halloween candy and Jason let me pick out a shirt.  Their shirts were not specific to the race.  I picked a teal shirt with an outline of the state on it.  Jason was told to be on the lookout for the wizard out on the course.  If he came back with the correct pumpkin color from the wizard he would win a prize.  We met the wizard prior to the start of the race.


We took pictures with Halloween blow-ups outside before seeing Jason off.  It was a very relaxed start with runners taking off one at a time whenever they were ready.  The race was not chipped timed.  There was one large intersection at Levan and Plymouth with a traffic light participants had to be aware of.  It was an interesting course that weaved around Livonia subdivisions with a start and finish down Plymouth Road.  There were a lot of turns clearly marked and some awesome Halloween houses.  We followed Jason in the van to cheer him on stopping at various spots in front of him, often with music.  The Town Peddler was the best spot.  Luke and I tried to take a picture by every arrow marker.  


There was a man that was very upset over the spray-painted chalk arrow on the sidewalk in front of his home.  I tried to reassure him it was not permanent.  He asked me to talk to the race staff about it.  I mentioned him to the race director because I wanted to keep my word but also so race staff would be aware when they took down course signage.  I don't think he believed the spray paint chalk would come off.  Jason said the man tried to talk with him about the arrow as Jason ran by his home.  He was quite upset. 


The wizard was stationed near the end of the race in the last mile.  He had a hot pink pumpkin.  The kids got out and took a picture with him.  I liked that they had the wizard, it was a unique addition to the race.  Jason got a set of pin-free bib clips with Michigan printed on them as a gift for returning with the color of the wizard's pumpkin.  I've always wanted to try pin-free bib clips to see how well they work.  Jason also got a brewery gift certificate and a great post-race goodie bag.


We went in Supernatural Brewing after the race.  We had never been inside before and were very curious.  The decorations inside were amazing.  I assumed a lot of the decor was left up all year around due to their name.  We got free beer, but Jason and I weren't fans of it.  The food was amazing.  We were really impressed by the menu and quality.  I really liked my salad.  We took time to admire all the skeletons, plasma balls and lights before we left.


Things I take from the Supernatural Brewing 5K are:  


1.  All the great race goodies we left with.  I wish they had had medals (especially since it was Jason's first 5K), but I still really loved the shirt, bib holders, candy and food bag with the gift certificate.  


2.  Learning about the Michigan Brewery Running series from a lady checking in behind us.  She showed me her copper keychains from all the breweries she had run at.  I saw they had copper keychains for Supernatural's run.  I think running at breweries and collecting keychains is really cool.    


3.  Getting to watch a 5K from the standpoint of a spectator.  It was not as sad not running as I thought it would be.  The kids and I spent the whole time driving the course letting Jason know he was doing great.  I still got to take just as many course pictures as I usually do.  We stuck around after the race and took pictures next to the city sign.  Getting a spectator perspective is humbling and helpful.  I'm thankful for that and that Jason ran for me.  It was a really amazing thing for him to do.




Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)