PINCH THE GRINCH (White Lake - 2019 - 5K)

  Pinch the Grinch 2019 Photo

24 Mile Drive




The 2019 Pinch the Grinch in White Lake was short and sweet with a very scenic drive. The drive had a lot of round-abouts in the Commerce Township area.  My Waze GPS Cookie Monster was nonstop with his round-about spiel.  It was hilarious and annoying..."Round about in 1...2...3....me like cookie!"  I met the pinching Grinch during and after the race.  I only got one shot at pinching him. He was in the first half mile of the race.  When I turned a corner I saw him surrounded but it didn’t look like he was being chased.  It looked like he was passing out tickets to five runners.  When I got up to him he ran down a hill, did a spread eagle slide, but recovered.  I could not run on the slope and had to give up.  It was a hilarious scene I wish I could have gotten on tape.  When I saw him again he was in that same spot sitting in the grass pointing to the finish.  I yelled out, “Are you still pinchable?” and he replied that he was out of tickets for prizes.  It was sad and funny. I wish he would have come out once per mile, or at least twice during the race.  Maybe having two Grinch (What is the plural word for Grinch?) would have helped.  I hope the group of runners had legitimately pinched him and not just walked up and got a ticket.  Grinch pinching is a really cool concept that makes this run unique.  In the end, I didn’t pinch the Grinch, but I got to take a simulated pinching picture with him at the finish line!

The best part of this race was the Santa Frenchie that walked into the school before the start.  I love dogs in costumes at runs!  I liked their food table variety.  They had a candy dish, apples, bagels, fruit bars and corn wafers.  I came in third, my favorite age group place.  The age group was the extremely hard ten year gap of 30-39.  I was really beat from this week.  The course was 90% trail with frozen grass, a lot of sticks to jump over and in general it was pretty hilly.  Frozen grass is tough to run on because it has a lot of hard lumpy spots and my feet couldn’t stabilize well.  It looks even to the eye, but it actually feels like running over a bunch of bouncy balls cut in half and glued onto the ground.  I barely came in under 30 minutes today.

They only gave mugs to first place finishers.  I got a really unique Grinch ornament and beanie hat for participating.  I really like the finisher ornament.  With Blitzen on the Dotte from this year and Playmaker’s Holiday Classic from 2017 I officially have three running ornaments.  I keep them on my medal wall.  I should really move them to the tree during Christmas.

I liked this run.  It was a perfect run to go to without my family because it was short and didn’t have activities.  I am sure the kids would have still had fun.  They almost always find a park near a run.  I asked half a dozen people (runners, race workers and athletic center employees) where the White Lake city sign was with no luck.  In the line to look up results a man said he didn’t live in White Lake but knew there was a sign on 59 by the Police Department.  He was absolutely right!  I found it!  It was tough without Jason, my race photographer, but I managed getting the city sign picture alone.  I was very happy to make it to this race after what happened after running through Hell.  It was a huge success for me.  Thank you 248Event Productions for a super cute and well organized race!  

…. I’ll pinch you in the future Grinch!



Comments


Popular posts from this blog

BURTON VETERAN'S DAY RUN (Burton - 2019 - 5K)

NEW YEARS EVE FAMILY FUN RUN (Belle Isle - 2019 - 5K)

Run for the Arts (Interlochen - 2022 - 5K)